Supermicro 743TQ-865B-SQ Chassis with non-Supermicro ATX mobo?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Oct 25, 2017
I might be able to get a nice deal on a Supermicro 743TQ-865B-SQ chassis, but I might also want to go with a Ryzen build with an ATX x370 motherboard. I've read that Supermicro cases can be a pain with non-Supermicro motherboards, particularly if they are standard ATX (what Supermicro calls ATX is actually EEB CEB or something with the mounting holes in different positions).

Does anybody have any experience doing something like this? Would it likely be worth the effort?

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
I have a SC745BTQ-R1K28B-SQ with an mATX motherboard. Not the exact same scenario, but I've had no issues with it including standoff locations.

Reactions: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
Really! That's great news! I was especially worried because ithe product pages for the different 743 chassis list different compatible motherboards—for instance, compare the 743tq-865b-SQ to the 743tq-1200B-SQ or SC743i-665B.
The models they list with chassis are just the ones they intended and tested at the time the chassis came out. In the end there are a ton of compatible motherboards they don't list for pretty much every chassis. As mentioned above just watch out W and U variants and you'll likely not have any issues.

The point on the front panel connector is a good one and something to check when you get it, but I've found that for the pedestal workstation chassis the cable is plenty long as it's more laid out like a standard desktop case.

Reactions: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
The point on the front panel connector is a good one and something to check when you get it, but I've found that for the pedestal workstation chassis the cable is plenty long as it's more laid out like a standard desktop case.
I got the NIB 743TQ (on the great deals hear earlier this year) and the FP cable could not reach X10SRA-F front panel connector. Luckily, the 16-pin connector on one of my my 216 chassis was a longer one and the swap worked out perfect.