Supermicro 72 drive 4U enclosure

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
So this box... what do you all think of it?

What we hoped to use these for was to replace our 36 drive Supermicro shells with these for higher density. We run RAID6 in packs of 12 so could get about 150TB usable in the enclosure. These plans are now on hold since we heard from our vendor that the backplanes are set to only pass drives through in IT mode, not IR. So basically great big JBODs with the onboard 2308 controllers. In addition, pulling out a slot disconnects 2 drives instead of 1, which could be annoying.

I'm hoping to drive down to the vendor and rip this guy apart Monday or Tuesday, see if I we can make this work out for us. This could be nice for ZFS, but I assume yu'd want to carve out pools in a particular order or something to not pull 2 drives at once as well from the same pool.

Grr!

Lost-Benji

Jan 21, 2013
The arse end of the planet
Hey Chucky,
I maybe barking up the wrong tree but the HBA's are just IT but the backplanes have no bearing on the choice of IT or IR. At worst, you would pull the three HBA cards and run IR capable RAID cards.

Otherwise, time for ZFS or Storage Spaces I spose.

on the matter of pull two drives at same time, I guess you would be wise to shut-down the pool prior to pulling to avoid added delays in rebuilds.