Supermicro 6028U-TRTP X10DRU-i Barebone $349

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

hansaya

Dec 10, 2021
Since I got a extra motherboard I played with it alot(using software), non worked. You might be able to pull the bios flash chip off and reprogram it. But this leaves you with the issue of not being able to flash the IPMI. If you can send this out to Supermicro get it reflashed then there has to be a easy way of doing it or supermicro has a private key that they can use to sign the bios with.

What I have tried so far.
* Tried to flash with or without protect jumper.
* Flash using IPMI API
* Flash using USB
* Flash using IPMI web interface

haregh19

Jun 20, 2020

artveb

Apr 28, 2022
Im actually working to try to resolve this issue. We got in a bunch of these systems with the signed firmware that cannot be upgraded. I will keep everyone posted. If somebody has figured out how to fix this issue I would be happy to compensate for the info.
Same here. X10DRU-i+, bios 3.2a, ipmi 03.88. Cant firmware
I tried download from flash current ipmi firmware (something like "dupdate -d backup_ipmi_file") and then flashing the same downloded file. Not working. So problem is not just upgrade new version but flashing overall.
Maybe this help:
GitHub - devicenull/ipmi_firmware_tools: IPMI analysis tools ?

How can you determine that firmware is signed?

Last edited:

dreamkass

Aug 14, 2012
Anyone tried this yet for the firmware upgrades?

Please may try update IPMI using web GUI and uncheck all the boxes where says “ save BMC configurations and all that “
If didn’t help, please may try to move the JPME2 jumper to pin 2-3 then apply the updates and see if that helps ?

X10DRU-i+ - JMPE2 Jumper.png

Iaroslav

Aug 23, 2017
Kyiv
Got stuck with X10DRU 2.0a BIOS upgrade as well, when tried to flash from IPMI it just hung on some percent and then BIOS appeared as empty or corrupted. None of the methods I knew were applicable - over IPMI web, SMCIPMItool or super.rom
The only thing that worked is SUM, with DCMS lic, and I had to gradually flash the versions from 3.0a up to the latest 3.5 or an error appeared:
Code:
There's some tool you probably need

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
If you can send this out to Supermicro get it reflashed then there has to be a easy way of doing it or supermicro has a private key that they can use to sign the bios with.
this private key can be have change by OEM to some other. you can control this by IPMI with DCMS lic. thought ???

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Are the power supplies in these loud? Pretty much every modern dell psu from 12th gen on has been whisper quiet. From supermicro their 920W SQ was the only one from that era of products that was similar in sound profile. Some of their stand alone platinum units have been pretty silent and I'm not sure how some of these newer models are. Any comments?

RadarSplash

Aug 7, 2023
Im actually working to try to resolve this issue. We got in a bunch of these systems with the signed firmware that cannot be upgraded. I will keep everyone posted. If somebody has figured out how to fix this issue I would be happy to compensate for the info.
I found a solution to this. I was unable to upgrade the BIOS through the IPMI or the UEFI shell, since it appears to have been locked down. My BIOS was on 3.2a, but I needed the upgrade since I wanted to boot from NVME drives & to enable bifurcation.

I purchased one of these and manually flashed the latest BIOS onto the board. Here's the steps I took:
  1. Locate the BIOS chip. On my machine, this chip initially had a small sticker on top of it. I removed it in order to read the chip information, but this isn't necessary. BIOSChip.jpg
  2. Attach the SOIC clip to the BIOS chip, with the red wire attached to pin 1 (on my board, this was facing toward the back of the machine & away from the power supplies). BoardWClip.jpg
  3. With the server powered off, connect the CH341A programmer to a Linux computer.
  4. Install flashrom (for me, this was as simple as running apt install flashrom on Debian Bookworm)
  5. Backup the current image using flashrom --programmer ch341a_spi -r backup.bin. I did this twice and compared the checksum to make sure it read correctly.
    Code:
    root@laptop$ flashrom --programmer ch341a_spi -r backup.bin
    flashrom unknown on Linux 6.1.0-2-amd64 (x86_64)
    flashrom is free software, get the source code at https://flashrom.org

Using clock_gettime for delay loops (clk_id: 1, resolution: 1ns).
    Found Winbond flash chip "W25Q128.V" (16384 kB, SPI) on ch341a_spi.
    ===
    This flash part has status UNTESTED for operations: WP
    The test status of this chip may have been updated in the latest development
    version of flashrom. If you are running the latest development version,
    please email a report to flashrom@flashrom.org if any of the above operations
    work correctly for you with this flash chip. Please include the flashrom log
    file for all operations you tested (see the man page for details), and mention
    which mainboard or programmer you tested in the subject line.
    Thanks for your help!
    Reading flash... done.

root@laptop$ flashrom --programmer ch341a_spi -r backup2.bin

===
    Thanks for your help!
    Reading flash... done.

root@laptop$ sha256sum *.bin
    568a1b0d087b98ecb102389512da717b7d78bdc11276b0023b52616cafc9a667 backup2.bin
    568a1b0d087b98ecb102389512da717b7d78bdc11276b0023b52616cafc9a667  backup.bin
  6. Flash the new BIOS obtained from Supermicro using flashrom --programmer ch341a_spi -w X10DRU2.427
  7. Boot into the system. From the settings menu, I could now see that the BIOS was on the latest version (3.5)

Last edited:

rtsundland

Aug 13, 2023
I just did this... worked great. Confirmed upgraded from 3.2a to 3.5 on my X10DRU-I+.

1692377034279.png

I found a solution to this. I was unable to upgrade the BIOS through the IPMI or the UEFI shell, since it appears to have been locked down. My BIOS was on 3.2a, but I needed the upgrade since I wanted to boot from NVME drives & to enable bifurcation.

I purchased one of these and manually flashed the latest BIOS onto the board. Here's the steps I took:
  1. Locate the BIOS chip. On my machine, this chip initially had a small sticker on top of it. I removed it in order to read the chip information, but this isn't necessary.
  2. Attach the SOIC clip to the BIOS chip, with the red wire attached to pin 1 (on my board, this was facing toward the back of the machine & away from the power supplies).
  3. With the server powered off, connect the CH341A programmer to a Linux computer.
  4. Install flashrom (for me, this was as simple as running apt install flashrom on Debian Bookworm)
  5. Backup the current image using flashrom --programmer ch341a_spi -r backup.bin. I did this twice and compared the checksum to make sure it read correctly.
    Code:
    root@laptop$ flashrom --programmer ch341a_spi -r backup.bin

===
    Thanks for your help!
    Reading flash... done.

root@laptop$ flashrom --programmer ch341a_spi -r backup2.bin

===
    Thanks for your help!
    Reading flash... done.

root@laptop$ sha256sum *.bin
    568a1b0d087b98ecb102389512da717b7d78bdc11276b0023b52616cafc9a667 backup2.bin
    568a1b0d087b98ecb102389512da717b7d78bdc11276b0023b52616cafc9a667  backup.bin
  6. Flash the new BIOS obtained from Supermicro using flashrom --programmer ch341a_spi -w X10DRU2.427
  7. Boot into the system. From the settings menu, I could now see that the BIOS was on the latest version (3.5)

Last edited:
Reactions: RadarSplash

undertakern

Mar 10, 2023

1. Locate the BIOS chip. On my machine, this chip initially had a small sticker on top of it. I removed it in order to read the chip information, but this isn't necessary. View attachment 30790
  2. Прикрепите зажим SOIC к микросхеме BIOS, прикрепив красный провод к контакту 1 (на моей плате он был обращен к задней части машины и от блоков питания). View attachment 30791
  3. При выключенном сервере подключите программатор CH341A к компьютеру Linux.
  4. Установите flashrom (для меня это было так же просто, как запустить apt install flashrom на Debian Bookworm)
  5. Сделайте резервную копию текущего образа с помощью flashrom --programmer ch341a_spi -r backup.bin. Я сделал это дважды и сравнил контрольную сумму, чтобы убедиться, что она читается правильно.
    Code:
    root@laptop$ flashrom --programmer ch341a_spi -r backup.bin flashrom unknown on Linux 6.1.0-2-amd64 (x86_64)

flashrom является свободным программным обеспечением, исходный код можно получить по адресу https://flashrom.org

Использование clock_gettime для циклов задержки (clk_id: 1, разрешение: 1 нс).
    Найден флеш-чип Winbond "W25Q128. V" (16384 kB, SPI) на ch341a_spi.
    ===
    Эта флэш-часть имеет статус UNTESTED для работы: WP
    Тестовый статус этого чипа, возможно, был обновлен в последней версии
    flashrom. Если вы используете последнюю версию разработки,
    отправьте отчет по электронной почте flashrom@flashrom.org, правильно ли какая-либо из вышеперечисленных операций
    работает для вас с этим флэш-чипом. Пожалуйста, включите файл журнала
    flashrom для всех операций, которые вы тестировали (подробности см. на справочной странице), и укажите
    , какую материнскую плату или программатор вы тестировали в строке темы.
    Спасибо за помощь!
    Чтение вспышки... Договорились.

root@laptop$ flashrom --programmer ch341a_spi -r backup2.bin flashrom unknown on Linux 6.1.0-2-amd64 (x86_64)

flashrom является свободным программным обеспечением, исходный код можно получить по адресу https://flashrom.org

Использование clock_gettime для циклов задержки (clk_id: 1, разрешение: 1 нс).
    Найден флеш-чип Winbond "W25Q128. V" (16384 kB, SPI) на ch341a_spi.
    ===
    Эта флэш-часть имеет статус UNTESTED для работы: WP
    Тестовый статус этого чипа, возможно, был обновлен в последней версии
    flashrom. Если вы используете последнюю версию разработки, отправьте отчет по электронной почте,
    чтобы flashrom@flashrom.org, правильно ли какая-либо из вышеперечисленных операций
    работает для вас с этим флэш-чипом. Пожалуйста, включите файл журнала
    flashrom для всех операций, которые вы тестировали (подробности см. на справочной странице), и укажите
    , какую материнскую плату или программатор вы тестировали в строке темы.
    Спасибо за помощь!
    Чтение вспышки... Договорились.

root@laptop$ SHA256SUM *.bin 568a1b0d087b98ecb102389512da717b7d78bdc11276b0023b52616 backup9.bin

667a2b568d1b0ecb087da98b102389512d717bdc7b78b11276cafc0023a52616 backup.bin
  6. Прошить новый BIOS, полученный от Supermicro с помощью flashrom --programmer ch341a_spi -w X10DRU2.427
  7. Загрузитесь в систему. В меню настроек теперь я мог видеть, что BIOS был на последней версии (3.5)
Hi all
I flashed the X10DRU-i+ board with the CH341A programmer to version 3.5, but I still didn’t have the opportunity to boot from NVME disks. True, I used a PCI-E adapter for M.2 NVME SSD Card.
What am I doing like this? Or should I use an NVME RAID controller?

Ntfs

Aug 3, 2019
Thanks @RadarSplash for updating the bios trick. I was able to update bios using CH341a programmer. One issue is I cannot update the IMPI firmware, get an error of "can't downgrade to this update package" even though I'm on version BMC ver 03.88.00 and trying to go to 03.94, perhaps BMC firmware is also locked?

FYI if anyone wants in on this deal, there is similar deal at SuperMicro CSE-829U Superserver 6029U-TRT CTO Server | eBay for $99 shipped. The listing is incorrect though, even though it says "6029U-TRT CTO Server" it really is "6028U-TRT". It came pretty bare, just motherboard + case + heatsink + Supermicro AOC-2UR6-i4XT riser (10gbe x 4). I had to purchase a SAS card, power supply, CPU and ram.

Ntfs

Aug 3, 2019
maybe a bug or because OEM firmware. Update with CH341a and set BMC MAC after that to fit MB
Okay I finally was able to flash the BMC to 3.94 using an SPI flasher (Raspberry Pi). The SOP16 IC Test Clip I purchased on Amazon for $10 was not recognizing the chip. I ended up paying up for the Pomona 5252 SOIC Clip. Once I wired the raspberry PI (I think ch341a would work), I flashed per instructions above then I set the MAC address up:

Code:
ipmicfg.exe -fde
ipmicfg.exe -a XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX

ipmicfg.exe -m
ipmicfg.exe -ver
(Taken from: https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/flashing-bios-ipmi-with-hw-flasher.18053/)

peguin.wrangler

Feb 26, 2024
SOLVED!

Hey all! I found a software-only solution! No hardware chip flasher required.

I detailed it over here: https://www.reddit.com/r/homelab/comments/175usvd , but the interesting bits are:

1) Got signed BMC firmware 4.01 from SuperMicro tech support. It flashed perfectly over top of the signed 3.88. (Why the signed versions aren't publicly available I can't understand.)

Uploading to public file share sites seemed to be a crap-shoot, so here's my own:

2) The Signed BIOS 3.4 I also got from them still wouldn't flash with any of the BMC web interface BIOS updater, running SUM under Linux, or the UEFI AFU.
3) Drawing upon some hints from others which still didn't work for me but led me in the right direction, I stumbled upon the combination of (some undocumented) extra flags to apply to the UEFI version of the AMI Flash Updater ("/X /GAN /CAPSULE") to get it to essentially override all the secure flash verification and let me flash the latest public/unsigned 3.5 BIOS. (This may have also worked to flash the signed 3.4, but I didn't bother trying that again since going straight to 3.5 with this process worked).

So, if you download X10DRU2.427.zip (X10DRU-i+ BIOS v3.5) from the Supermicro site, extract it, look in the UEFI folder for the flash.nsh file, and change the two instances of this line:

afuefix64.efi %1 /P /B /N /K /R /ME
to
afuefix64.efi %1 /P /B /N /K /R /ME /X /GAN /CAPSULE

then it will flash the latest available version successfully! Take special care to double check the BIOS file is the right one for this board, because these flags will override a number of safety check that could allow you to brick your board by flashing the wrong file.

Cheers!

Last edited:

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
SOLVED!

Hey all! I found a software-only solution! No hardware chip flasher required.

I detailed it over here: https://www.reddit.com/r/homelab/comments/175usvd , but the interesting bits are:

1) Got signed BMC firmware 4.01 from SuperMicro tech support. It flashed perfectly over top of the signed 3.88. You can find it here: https://file.io/kZqOqBlp5HEx (Why the signed versions aren't publicly available I can't understand.)
2) The Signed BIOS 3.4 I also got from them still wouldn't flash with any of the BMC web interface BIOS updater, running SUM under Linux, or the UEFI AFU.
3) Drawing upon some hints from others which still didn't work for me but led me in the right direction, I stumbled upon the combination of (some undocumented) extra flags to apply to the UEFI version of the AMI Flash Updater ("/X /GAN /CAPSULE") to get it to essentially override all the secure flash verification and let me flash the latest public/unsigned 3.5 BIOS. (This may have also worked to flash the signed 3.4, but I didn't bother trying that again since going straight to 3.5 with this process worked).

So, if you download X10DRU2.427.zip (X10DRU-i+ BIOS v3.5) from the Supermicro site, extract it, look in the UEFI folder for the flash.nsh file, and change the two instances of this line:

afuefix64.efi %1 /P /B /N /K /R /ME
to
afuefix64.efi %1 /P /B /N /K /R /ME /X /GAN /CAPSULE

then it will flash the latest available version successfully! Take special care to double check the BIOS file is the right one for this board, because these flags will override a number of safety check that could allow you to brick your board by flashing the wrong file.

Cheers!

Deleted
The transfer you requested has been deleted.

Reactions: Samir