Supermicro 6028U-TRTP X10DRU-i Barebone $349

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

stewie0056

Dec 3, 2020
Even in full fan mode, I can't get my 6028U-TRTP+ fans to go HIGHER than 9k rpm. Anyone else have this issue?

I have tried forcing it with raw IPMI commands, along with rebooting and resetting the BCM but it always tops out at 9k.

I have other SM servers X9/X10 and they have no problem hitting 20k+ rpm when in full mode but this particular server seems to be getting limited by something and I am stumped. Is there an unlisted jumper or setting somewhere limiting this?

I would be curious to hear if anyone else with this model is able to get faster fan speeds.

Code:
Firmware Revision      : 3.89.00
Firmware Build Time    : 06/23/2020
BIOS Version           : 3.2a
BIOS Build Time        : 11/19/2019
Code:
/IPMICFG-Linux.x86_64 -fan
Current Fan Speed Mode is [ Full Mode ]

Supported Fan modes:
1:Full
2:Optimal
4:Heavy IO
Code:
./IPMICFG-Linux.x86_64 -sdr full | grep FAN
    OK | (2483) FAN1              |     8700 RPM |    300 RPM |    500 RPM |    700 RPM |   25300 RPM |   25400 RPM |   25500 RPM |
    OK | (2550) FAN2              |     8600 RPM |    300 RPM |    500 RPM |    700 RPM |   25300 RPM |   25400 RPM |   25500 RPM |
       | (2617) FAN3              |          N/A |        N/A |        N/A |        N/A |         N/A |         N/A |         N/A |
       | (2684) FAN4              |          N/A |        N/A |        N/A |        N/A |         N/A |         N/A |         N/A |
       | (2751) FAN5              |          N/A |        N/A |        N/A |        N/A |         N/A |         N/A |         N/A |
       | (2818) FAN6              |          N/A |        N/A |        N/A |        N/A |         N/A |         N/A |         N/A |
    OK | (2885) FAN7              |     9000 RPM |    300 RPM |    500 RPM |    700 RPM |   25300 RPM |   25400 RPM |   25500 RPM |
    OK | (2952) FAN8              |     8900 RPM |    300 RPM |    500 RPM |    700 RPM |   25300 RPM |   25400 RPM |   25500 RPM |
       | (3019) FAN9              |          N/A |        N/A |        N/A |        N/A |         N/A |         N/A |         N/A |

Edit: I'm an idiot. I finally took a fan out and Googled the part number. It turns out the fans have a max RPM of 9K.
I should have done that in the first place but I just assumed the max RPM in the IPMI matched the actual fan limit.

Last edited:

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
So far in my experience the "cheap" ones are missing internal pieces.
IE: Air Shield, Power Cables...
The ones for $400-500 seem to have these... so depending on your needs.

Reactions: Bradford and Samir

hansaya

Dec 10, 2021
Has anyone had any issues updating bios or IPMI? I'm keep getting a error "BIOS validation failed" and on ipmi I keep getting "cannot downgrade" error. The board came with 3.2a bios and ipmi 03.88. This is one version behind and there are few CVEs fixed on new 3.4 bios update. On top of that I would like to get NVME support with a modified BIOS. I have tried to updating through IPMI and Linux, same error. Is there a way to disable the BIOS validation? Perhaps recycler installed modified version of IPMI, stopping me from upgrading? Vendor locked? I'm out of ideas here :(.

My motherboard is Super X10DRU-i+ and have v4 processor installed.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
We've never had an IPMI\bios problem on x10dru-i and have a half dozen updated in the last couple years.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I think some of the x10 (eg x10sra) had a bios option that would block all bios updates...

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Yeah if I recall there's some trickery you have to do with the ME (management engine) jumper on the board to get updates to take.

hansaya

Dec 10, 2021
Anyone purchasing this board should look into whether the bios is signed or not at delivery. After talking with supermicro on the subject of not being able to flash the bios, I learned that some vendors can lock the bios flash process by signing the firmware/bios. This will stop you from ever flashing anything in the future unless you have the means of signing your own bios. Only alternative option is to RMA the board to supermicro to wipe the flash chip manually.

More info Cryptographic Signed BMC Firmware | Supermicro

Last edited:

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
So swapping the ME jumper still wasn't able to allow you to get your bios flashed?

hansaya

Dec 10, 2021
Nope, that got me through one hurdle but ran into a another. I had to RMA the board anyways after finding out there are bunch of bent CPU socket pins. I'm hoping the replacement is not locked down.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
They'll probably just replace the socket. I think Supermicro does actual board repairs, but I might be wrong.

hansaya

Dec 10, 2021
I bought it from a recycler and they already sent out a replacement so I don't think recycler going to replace the socket(too expensive). If they give me a same type of board from same original owner, I will have to do a full return and get my money back. Sending this to supermicro seems like a expensive ordeal.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Supermicro may or may not. From my experience, they won't touch anything more than 5 years old. These systems are likely older than that. They turned me down on some X10 generation repairs back in 2019.

koifish59

Sep 30, 2020
Anyone purchasing this board should look into whether the bios is signed or not at delivery. After talking with supermicro on the subject of not being able to flash the bios, I learned that some vendors can lock the bios flash process by signing the firmware/bios. This will stop you from ever flashing anything in the future unless you have the means of signing your own bios. Only alternative option is to RMA the board to supermicro to wipe the flash chip manually.

More info Cryptographic Signed BMC Firmware | Supermicro
Unfortunately I'm running into your same exact issue :(

This barebone shipped with BIOS version 3.2a, and trying to update to the official 3.4 and also a modified version to allow NVMe booting. After switching the jumper to ME Manufacturing Mode and trying to flash the BIOS, my error is "Secure Flash function is not supported on this file". It also doesn't seem like this 3.2a BIOS supports bifurcation, as this setting is nowhere to be found.

Mine was purchased from TheServeStore. I already purchased additional accessories for this too.

Did you ever have a resolution to this?

Last edited:
Reactions: Samir

hansaya

Dec 10, 2021

This barebone shipped with BIOS version 3.2a, and trying to update to the official 3.4 and also a modified version to allow NVMe booting. After switching the jumper to ME Manufacturing Mode and trying to flash the BIOS, my error is "Secure Flash function is not supported on this file". It also doesn't seem like this 3.2a BIOS supports bifurcation, as this setting is nowhere to be found.

Mine was purchased from TheServeStore. I already purchased additional accessories for this too.

Unfortunately there is no solutions other than sending it to supermicro. I returned it because it was not as described. Ended up buying a another one from The Server Store and they had the same issue however their customer support was excellent and they managed to send me a motherboard that was unlocked within two days.

Last edited:
Reactions: Samir and koifish59

dooferorg

Jul 7, 2020
*** I realized it's SLIGHTLY different, my one. It's the TR4 variant, which is similar to the TRTP but differs by the ethernet ports.

Just got one of these (6028U-TR4+ | 2U | SuperServers | Products | Super Micro Computer, Inc.) recently (BIOS 3.4) I am liking it! Piecing together a server from different ebay auctions currently. Today I replaced the passive backplane with a BPN-SAS3-826EL1 and the LSI 3008 can access all the drive slots now.

Got a pair of the SATADOM devices as boot and NVMes (yay bifurcation) for the OS and database.

It's certainly going to be in the rack downstairs when I get my home networking done but it's looking good so far.

Debian 11 installer doesn't play nice with the Intel I350 NICs though, which is a bummer but not the end of the world. Using the 'full' installer I can do without network until I am able to put the fiber NIC in anyway. Seems to be something with the igb driver on kernel 5.x.

As an FYI, this is the listing I got mine from: Supermicro 6028U-TR4+ X10DRU-i+ 2x LGA2011v3 Xeon E5-2600v3/v4 2U Server CTO | eBay .. $400. Clean and tidy inside with latest BIOS.
It was packed very well, I even have a pristine looking inner box along with the foam padding sitting in my basement currently.

Last edited:

theserverstore

Jun 29, 2016

Im actually working to try to resolve this issue. We got in a bunch of these systems with the signed firmware that cannot be upgraded. I will keep everyone posted. If somebody has figured out how to fix this issue I would be happy to compensate for the info.