Supermicro 6028U-TRTP X10DRU-i Barebone $349

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

britinpdx

Feb 8, 2013
Portland OR
I got my MCP-120-82921-0N and cannot for the life of me figure out how to mount it. Did you succeed?
Bending the small tab that interferes with the heatsink is the same method that I took. There are a number of Ultra risers, I presumed that this is a "generic" kit to fit the range of risers as there was a few other mounting items that I didn't need.

Bradford

May 27, 2016
Bending the small tab that interferes with the heatsink is the same method that I took. There are a number of Ultra risers, I presumed that this is a "generic" kit to fit the range of risers as there was a few other mounting items that I didn't need.
Thanks for the confirmation. Now I'm hoping to find a rear 2.5" hot swap addon that doesn't require me to completely replace the riser.

ColdCanuck

Jul 23, 2013
Halifax NS
It will not boot from NVME. The BMC does have support for HTML5 KVM.
Just doing some planning before the server arrives. If it doesn’t boot off an NVME is there a convenit place I can tap off power for a SSD, using Molex spliiters or the like. I assume I can use One of the SATADOM SATA connectors for data. Trying to preserve all the bays for HDDs.

james23

Nov 18, 2014
Just doing some planning before the server arrives. If it doesn’t boot off an NVME is there a convenit place I can tap off power for a SSD, using Molex spliiters or the like. I assume I can use One of the SATADOM SATA connectors for data. Trying to preserve all the bays for HDDs.
Yes, you can tap molex power off of somewhere in this exact chasis/setup.
(im pretty sure its off those GPU looking power ports that feed power up to the backplane. not the black gpu power plugs, the similar looking white ones right near the black actual gpu ones).
I might be off on the location, but there def. are molex plugs somewhere that you can split from- as im running exactly what you are a looking to do, on 3x of these servers (2x 2U and 1x 1U )
(i just cant remember where exactly i connected a molex splitter, to, to power a 80gb intel ssd as the boot disk).

btw- from those earlier in the thread trying to quite these 2U x10 boxes- i endedup using the ipmitool shell script (on a vm) on my 1U, and a noctua 20$ fan controller each on the 2x 2Us i have. I do have alot of monitoring/alerting of the temperatures in place, as the noctua fan controller does limit the max RPMs of the fans (which could cause an overheat scenario) - but this has worked great for me, without any issues in nearly 2 yrs of use.

(the noctua controller does still let the MB control the fans speeds, but has a knob that allows you to essentially "shift the fan curve" lower). I wouldn't run this (or any fan controller) setup in a datacenter or on something critical, but it works great on my homelab rack. (fwiw, by far the hottest part on my setup is the 10gNIC/4xnvme/pcie-Riser combo card (or mezzanine card) - and specifically the 10gNIC part of that card, as reported by IPMI's temps (its always 60-70c)

One other thing i did was get/use dual 750w PSUs, to replace the 1k or 1.2k PSUs (although the 1kw PSU fans werent very loud anyway, this helped with a few watts of power consumption from the wall, and quieted the psu fans a tad). I can look up the 750w psu model num if anyone cant locate it. (they are hotswap / made for this exact unique chassis)

a last point- i DEF agree with this below, RE: their higher than expected power consumption, its pretty much worth it to run 2x CPUs in these, even if you only really need 1x (in regards to their power draw).
Part of the problem is just how much power the server uses (it is aiming for top performance after all). I have a single E5-2678v3, 2 DIMMs, LSI 9341-4i, 2 SAS SSDs, and a 1TB hard drive in mine, but it still sits at ~115W with minimal load (CPU throttled to 1.2ghz).

Last edited:

sboesch

Aug 3, 2012
Columbus, OH
I am using a Innodisk SATADOM-SL 3ME4 as a boot device, there is a free molex connector that you can use with a SATA adapter.

Reactions: Eta_Carinae

ColdCanuck

Jul 23, 2013
Halifax NS
I am using a Innodisk SATADOM-SL 3ME4 as a boot device, there is a free molex connector that you can use with a SATA adapter.
Thanks... so I will patently (ha !) wait for the server to arrive and figure this out. Sounds like I have a few options, SATADOM, a MacGyver with velcro in the case, or a pcie sata carrier card.

Cinder

Dec 30, 2020
Thanks... so I will patently (ha !) wait for the server to arrive and figure this out. Sounds like I have a few options, SATADOM, a MacGyver with velcro in the case, or a pcie sata carrier card.
I was able to boot from an Intel P3700 NVMe PCIe card but unable to boot from another NVMe SSD mounted on an ASUS Hyper M.2 card.

Bradford

May 27, 2016
I'm just now figuring out that this won't boot from my PCIe NVMe, pretty lame. I'm really curious about the "Optional 2 hot-swap 2.5" rear drive bays for SSDs" that is listed on the product page for this. I have seen it around, but it looks like it replaces the whole push in thing (but maybe not the riser). Anyone have an item number for this thing? I might just velcro my SSDs somewhere in the case if I can't find this part for a reasonable amount. Modding the BIOS looks like it would work, but since I'll be installing this remotely I'd rather not have a weird hack like that in play. Pretty stupid that the most recent BIOS for this released in 2019 doesn't support booting from NVMe.

Edit: well that was easy: Supermicro MCP-240-82922-0N-OEM Rear 2x 2.5in HDDs Riser Bracket Kit for SC829U Chassis

I wonder if this is a direct drop-in replacement. And I'm not sure it's worth $100 to have the feature, especially since I'd need to connect the molex and sata cables anyway.

Edit 2: nvm, that's compatible with the 6029U, not 6028U

Edit 3: Actually it looks like it will work with the 6028U, but idk about that rear thumb screw. The only real reason this is tempting is that this is a great place to put the 2.5" boot drives I want to use, otherwise I'm not sure where I'll put it if I have 3x GPUs in mine.

Last edited:

Bradford

May 27, 2016
Where's the free molex connector? I see 2 of the 4 8-pin ports going to the backplane, but I can't find an ununsed molex.

britinpdx

Feb 8, 2013
Portland OR
Where's the free molex connector? I see 2 of the 4 8-pin ports going to the backplane, but I can't find an ununsed molex.
The power cables from the motherboard to the backplane are 1x8pin to 2x4pin, providing 4x4pin to the backplane. Depending upon the backplane, all 4pin cables may not be required. There are only 3 power connectors on the SAS3 backplane in my chassis, the 4th was neatly cable tied out of the way. I carefully cut the appropriate cable ties and fed the spare 4pin power connector back to the space immediately above the psu's then added the appropriate "4pin Molex to SATA" cable as well as a SATA cable to an SSD placed in the same area. Good enough for my lab needs!

Looking at my Supermicro spare parts bin, it looks as if I picked up a few CBL-PWEX-0673 cables (1x8pin to 2x4pin power) in case I wanted to tinker around with other options.

ColdCanuck

Jul 23, 2013
Halifax NS
So I received my unit. Very happy it got out of Texas before the 'big freeze'. Overall I am very pleased with the unit purchased from The ServerStore, it arrived quickly, in great shape, well packed and clean. I have installed Proxmox on it, and will be using it to replace an old fileserver. My variant has a SAS EL1 backplane, and an IT flashed Supermicro 3008 card, and 4x10G ethernet.

I do have one question about an NVME:

I am not having any joy seeing my NVMe drive. It is an Intel P3600 U.2 mounted on a StarTech PEX4SFF8639 carrier card which I have mounted in one of the x16 slots on the left riser. I know the card and the SSD work fine in an other computer. Note I am not trying to boot the unit from the NVME, I only wish to see it. No joy, I can't even see it with lspci. I know the riser works as the computer is booted from a SAT SSD mounted in the other slot of the same riser.

BIOS has everything set to EFI, and the computer is booted via UEFI. I also note that this version of the BIOS has no entries for bifurcation, although they at not needed in this case, only one device on an x4 card.

Open to suggestions

dv007

Dec 13, 2014
Anyone knows what's the purpose of the metal frame (the red rectangle in the picture) in the middle of the chassis? Can it be removed? it makes installing/removing the heat sink harder6028u.png

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Yes, the bracket is easily removed and is something you will need to do prior to installing processors and memory.

dv007

Dec 13, 2014
Yes, the bracket is easily removed and is something you will need to do prior to installing processors and memory.
How to remove it? I've tried pressing on the two tabs and pull up at the same time but it won't budge.

eyeshield21

Apr 5, 2021
Inspired by this post, I used this guide to mod BIOS 3.2a (latest) for this board (X10DRU-i+) to allow NVMe boot. Modified BIOS is posted here.

I'll be testing it for the next few months before I install it, but it works to boot into Proxmox.
Probably a noob question: How did you get your NVME SSDs to be detected by the BIOS? I suppose you used one of the AOC adapters like AOC-SLG3-2E4 (well, that's the one I'm using). Did you inserted it in one of the PCIe x16 slot to the left side (on the RSC-W2-66 riser)?

I've set the PCIe bifurcation to 4x4x4x4, and the PCI-E X16 OPROM to EFI, but my drives doesn't seem to be recognized by the BIOS (actually, how do you confirm?) Any help would be appreciated here : (

Edit: It just occurred to me that I might be properly supplying power to my SSDs. Right now I have a 6-pin to 4-SATA power cable plugged into GPU_PWR4, but that might just be dead wrong

Edit: After digging around, I found out that one should be able to use CBL-PWEX-0652 and then a molex to sata cable to power the addtional drives

Last edited: