SUPERMICRO 6027TR-DTRF CSE-827 stuck at system initializing 15

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

azev

Jan 18, 2013
Got one of these on ebay and finally got delivered today. When setting it up, I had to update one of the node with v1 CPU to the latest bios and then install the v2 CPU i planned to install on the nodes.
The 2nd node for whatever reason would not post pass system initialization 15. It would stuck there for a few second and the system would power off it self. After the node power down, pressing the power does nothing until you remove power completely to the power supply then the cycle repeat.
I tried everything, different memory modules, making sure there are no loose article that can cause a short, but so far no luck yet.

Just curious if anyone here have experienced similar problem ?? and how to fix it ?? or maybe its just bad luck and one of the node is bad ?

Thanks

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
It's claiming a RAM problem. Followed the RAM install per page 5-12 of the manual? Failing that, bent pins on a CPU socket? Also, watch the ranking of the RAM you are using :)

Reactions: azev

azev

Jan 18, 2013
It's claiming a RAM problem. Followed the RAM install per page 5-12 of the manual? Failing that, bent pins on a CPU socket? Also, watch the ranking of the RAM you are using :)
The system only has one cpu and 1 dimm, I've tried multiple ram module with different speed, and the other node have no problem with any of my ram module so I know it is good. I tried inspecting the cpu pins, to be honest it looks good, but I might be too tired and did not noticed any problem. I will check again tomorrow. One thing I noticed though, the heatsink stay cold, but then again the system only on for 15 sec or so before it shut it self down.

I tried the other cpu socket, but the system will not even power up with cpu on the 2nd cpu socket.

azev

Jan 18, 2013
Sometimes it's RAM seating. I've seen others where it's substances on CPU pins.
Once I am back from work I will focus on memory and cpu pin issue and see if this is the case. If not, I can only assume that it is DOA :(

azev

Jan 18, 2013
I spent time this evening inspecting cpu pins, even taking memory modules from a working server for a test and the result is the same. Not sure what else to try so I am going to start RMA with the seller (hoping they can just send me replacement nodes and not the whole chassis)

azev

Jan 18, 2013
Just a quick update contacted supermicro, they initialy think that they must be a short or something, but after more troubleshooting they deemed that the motherboard is bad and recommend that I RMA it.

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
Out of curiosity, did VGA work for you on the SM nodes?

I know there's a jumper on the motherboard to disable it; I tried both positions as the manual was unclear, but no change. I'm also not hearing any unhappy beeping. I installed v2 CPUs in mine without knowing bios version though, maybe that's the reason?

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle

I know there's a jumper on the motherboard to disable it; I tried both positions as the manual was unclear, but no change. I'm also not hearing any unhappy beeping. I installed v2 CPUs in mine without knowing bios version though, maybe that's the reason?
I have one of these servers and VGA works fine for me. The symptoms you have are in line with having an older BIOS that does not work with V2 CPUs. Many of the X9 boards I've purchased on ebay did not come with V2 supporting BIOS and needed to be updated.

azev

Jan 18, 2013
I agree with Aestr if your bios is too old and you directly install v2 cpu it will not display anything on the screen.
The problem I am having is completely different where the system actually post to supermicro splash page and stuck at initialization 15 then shutdown.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
I agree with Aestr if your bios is too old and you directly install v2 cpu it will not display anything on the screen.
The problem I am having is completely different where the system actually post to supermicro splash page and stuck at initialization 15 then shutdown.
My direct experience contradicts this. An X9-based Supermicro MB with 1.0 BIOS (no support for V2 chips) will start to post - with video - and then fault/hang on a memory related postcode. Exactly as described here.

I was rather embarrassed when I RMA's a perfectly good motherboard and then had the same problem with the replacement, only to realize my problem. Superbiiz were good sports about it. Luckily I had a v1 CPU available, flashed the BIOS, and all was well. If you don't have an older CPU you can try to contact SM support and get them to give you a key to flash the BIOS over IPMI.

Note: you should be able to confirm this by going into the IPMI webUI. You should be able to see the BIOS rev there even if the system won't post.

Also, to be fair, the OP already appears to have tried this (see post #1).

ehorn

Jun 21, 2012

I saw the same behavior on these 2 node systems. I Dropped in a v1 and updated ipmi and bios. Solid after that for the v2's

Piglover... agreed. Not same as op issue.

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
Dang. I wish I'd figured this out before dropping all 12 v2 CPUs in to my 6 nodes.

I've read there's a way to do this from IPMI, but I'd need to know the password. I can reset the password using a DOS utility, but I'd need to be able to see the screen. And the snake eats his tail...

I have a V1 CPU in another box, but I'd really prefer not to faff with that again.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Might be too obvious, but did you try the default IPMI password: user ADMIN pass ADMIN (both upper case)? You'd still have to get SM to give you the key - and its MAC locked, so you'd need to get them to give you 4 keys (they might not do that).

Joel

Jan 30, 2015

ehorn

Jun 21, 2012
Dang. I wish I'd figured this out before dropping all 12 v2 CPUs in to my 6 nodes.

I've read there's a way to do this from IPMI, but I'd need to know the password. I can reset the password using a DOS utility, but I'd need to be able to see the screen. And the snake eats his tail...

I have a V1 CPU in another box, but I'd really prefer not to faff with that again.
I hear that. Took me about an hour per node just to get them ready for OS....

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
The system only has one cpu and 1 dimm, I've tried multiple ram module with different speed, and the other node have no problem with any of my ram module so I know it is good. I tried inspecting the cpu pins, to be honest it looks good, but I might be too tired and did not noticed any problem. I will check again tomorrow. One thing I noticed though, the heatsink stay cold, but then again the system only on for 15 sec or so before it shut it self down.

I tried the other cpu socket, but the system will not even power up with cpu on the 2nd cpu socket.
Which slot is the RAM in? From the manual, the first stick should go in slot A1 (the rear cpu, closest to the side with the riser card).