Supermicro 4U server W 24 Trays UN Raided

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cw823

Jan 14, 2014
If we had a "decent deals every day for months and months" section it would be more appropriate for this particular thread.

lxr3517

Jan 9, 2020
If we had a "decent deals every day for months and months" section it would be more appropriate for this particular thread.
damn and here I thought I found something cool. any recommendations of what to get instead?

Reactions: Samir

cw823

Jan 14, 2014
I think if you're looking for something of this age it's a good deal, but the price on these has been there for months if not longer.

lxr3517

Jan 9, 2020
I think if you're looking for something of this age it's a good deal, but the price on these has been there for months if not longer.
gotcha, the reason i posted it here was because of how cheap it is all around, If you do the math the cheapest*good* chassis i found was $199, the system board with what I want is $150 ish plus PWS, CPU,MEM, and IT mode controller. it came up to close to $500, for that price its worth the try.

Philmatic

Sep 15, 2011
I absolutely love mine, only con with it is that none of the PCIe slots are x16, even just physically or with an open slot. Having any way to put in a 16x GPU would have been perfection. The LSI SAS controller is rock solid and the motherboard supports bifurication well.

SPCRich

Mar 16, 2017
You don't "need" anything this beefy to run Plex. It runs fine as a VM with 8GB RAM, 4 vCPUs.
Second that... Actually you could probably get by with 4GB of ram for plex and 2 cores... It's pretty light. Only way would need more ram is if you decide to transcode onto a RAM drive, in which case sure. I use a GPU to transcode with a 32GB RAM drive as the place to store transcoded data, saves write cycles on my SSD array.

lxr3517

Jan 9, 2020
Second that... Actually you could probably get by with 4GB of ram for plex and 2 cores... It's pretty light. Only way would need more ram is if you decide to transcode onto a RAM drive, in which case sure. I use a GPU to transcode with a 32GB RAM drive as the place to store transcoded data, saves write cycles on my SSD array.
I didn't think of this thnx

SRussell

Oct 7, 2019
US
How powerful of a GPU do you use for transcoding? What do you think is the maximum number of concurrent streams you have to deal with?

SRussell

Oct 7, 2019
US
I have a SC 846 and love this chassis. It is great because you can use 2.5 or 3.5 drives. You can add 2x hot swap 2.5" drive bays in the rear. And you can mount 2x 2x 2.5" drive cages inside the chassis. If you start to outgrow your bandwidth the backplane can be upgraded to SAS3 with a total time of maybe 30 minutes to swap everything out.

Reactions: lxr3517