SuperMicro 4U CSE-847 36 Bay SAS2 BP X9DRD-EF 2x E5-2620 12 Core 16GB IT Mode

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jiaxinxi

Aug 23, 2017
I bought another item from them.
I think it is decently priced.
SuperMicro 4U CSE-846 24 Bay SAS2 BP X9DRi-F/2x W/ 2x E5-2620 16GB IT MODE for $369

Since purchase I already bought few other items to update the machine
  1. 2 x E5-2670
  2. 4 x 32GB (128GB) PC3-14900L Memory
  3. Intel X520-DA2 10GB card
  4. 10 x 3TB SAS Hard drive
Needs to stop spending on this!

But I really want to fill all the blanks. There are still 12 memory bank empty. I really want to feel them up.

Can I mix the memory?
Mix PC3-14900L with PC3-8500R?
If so I can buy few cheap 8500R stick to fill all the memory bank.

Reactions: lxr3517 and Samir

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
You probably can fill them up with pc3-8500r, but you're not going to get the best performance from it doing that and your other memory will clock down and increase power usage.

If you just want all the slots filled, trade with me as I have a bunch of 2gb and 4gb modules that will use up all the slots. :D Definitely better than just 4x 32gb modules and all those empty slots, dontcha think? ;)

Reactions: itronin

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
@Jiaxinxi - load reduced (L) can't be mixed with normal registered.
Also as you fill up more slots with those 32GB the memory performance will clock down anyway. then again with just 4 you probably won't. I think 8 dimms is probably the optimum number, 4 per CPU.

@Samir is correct though you can possibly use other registered dimms of a higher clock and they will all clock down to the lowest speed dimm.

@Samir - that's just ..just... just.. cheeky! :p haha!

Jiaxinxi

Aug 23, 2017
@Jiaxinxi - load reduced (L) can't be mixed with normal registered.
Also as you fill up more slots with those 32GB the memory performance will clock down anyway. then again with just 4 you probably won't. I think 8 dimms is probably the optimum number, 4 per CPU.

@Samir is correct though you can possibly use other registered dimms of a higher clock and they will all clock down to the lowest speed dimm.

@Samir - that's just ..just... just.. cheeky! :p haha!
@Samir I was looking for those cheap 2 gb DIMMS just to to fill the memory banks. But I think it will not work well with the 32Gb modules.

@itronin Thanks for your info. Now I know what L means after the speed. I thought it means lower power consumption.

I just feel guilty to have only 4DIMMs installed. They looks so lonely on this giant motherboard.:D;);)

Reactions: Sleyk

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
@Samir I was looking for those cheap 2 gb DIMMS just to to fill the memory banks. But I think it will not work well with the 32Gb modules.

@itronin Thanks for your info. Now I know what L means after the speed. I thought it means lower power consumption.

I just feel guilty to have only 4DIMMs installed. They looks so lonely on this giant motherboard.:D;);)
L stands for Load reduced, I'm not enough of an EE to explain how that works.

But I do know from personal experience if you start using a lot of 32GB dimms (I think its when they are quad ranked) that the motherboard (at least my SM boards) will start clocking the speed down.

SRussell

Oct 7, 2019
US
If you are planning on running a large amount of rotational drives several people have complained about the chassis design being insufficient in keeping all of the drives cool.

Reactions: Sleyk

Sean Ho

seanho.com
Nov 19, 2019
Vancouver, BC
seanho.com
The issue is not with 32GB DIMMs per se, but that 32GB DDR3 RDIMMs are generally quad-rank, and when the MCU in Sandy/Ivy is maxed out at 8 ranks per channel (2DPC quad-rank), it clocks down to 800 MT/s. The rank limitation also means you can't fill 3DPC (e.g., X9DRi-LN4F+) with quad-rank DIMMs. It's not an issue with quad-rank LRDIMM, which presents itself as logical dual-rank.