Supermicro 4U 90 bay SAS3 JBOD - $525

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
This is a good one seeing as these retail for nearly $10k new and I've never seen one available on the secondary market before. I can't imagine these will last long. I was quoted ~$250 for shipping to Phoenix (my home is a commercial addresses because I live in a highrise). Been trying to talk myself into buying one ever since I saw it available.

SuperMicro 90 Slot Disk Array CSE-946ED-R2KJBOD Dual Controllers Tested Workin | eBay

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
I was bidding one from that seller when it was for auction. I hadn't seen these on eBay before either as they are still fairly new.

Made me curious why they would be for sale already. I don't know why I was bidding on them as I already have the HGST 60 bay chassis but I just couldn't help myself!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zeynel

Dream Large, Live Larger
Nov 4, 2015
shipping to Germany around $600 :/ , but still a good deal ;)

GladLock96

Nov 8, 2016
Do you guys think WD Red or Seagate IronWolf NAS drives work fine with this machine or only use the Supermicro "approved" drives? Also, how do you interface with it to configure it? Just via the IPMI port? You can't put an OS directly on it? It has to be connected to another machine, right?

GladLock96

Nov 8, 2016
Just for giggles I spec'd out 90 Western Digital Red Pros at $270 each: $24300 in drives.

5.4PETABYTES of space (RAW)

My god.
If you're referring to a 6TB Red drive, then it would be 540TB, not PB of space. The only way to get over a PB of space out the 90 drives would be to use HGST's new 12TB drives which would give you 1.08PB of raw space.

Kevin

Aug 9, 2016
Winnipeg, Canada
That's a great deal, but I think I would have drives starting to fail from age before being able to afford the 90 drives to fill it .... plus I'm thinking that with 90 drives in 4U the fans must scream to keep it cool... and yet I inexplicably still want it

workingnonstop

Feb 24, 2016
I'll admit, this thing made me google what colocation would cost me. More than I can justify! :D

I will just have to stick to my apartment server setup for the time being. I've got a place a few hours away where I could store a rack, but the best internet in that area is ~12/1mbps... someday!

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
He dropped then relisted it with a BIN of 2100 but still had a best offer, accepted $1234.00 however.

Hmm, I only have 8x 10tb hard drives right now.. must sneak them in a few at a time to get the other 82 of them... may take a while :)

DaddyGrant

Jul 14, 2016
I was bidding one from that seller when it was for auction. I hadn't seen these on eBay before either as they are still fairly new.

Made me curious why they would be for sale already. I don't know why I was bidding on them as I already have the HGST 60 bay chassis but I just couldn't help myself!

@CyberSkulls We'll all live through you. Unfortunately I would be murdered by the wife and I value my life.

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
@CyberSkulls We'll all live through you. Unfortunately I would be murdered by the wife and I value my life.
I didn't buy the 90 bay SM chassis. Someone else is gonna have fun with those. I'm still not even sure why I bought the 60 bay chassis. I mean they look sweet but there was nothing wrong with my 24 bay SM 846 chassis. They were like shinny pennies and I needed them :)