Supermicro 4U 846 with A backplane & 920W SQ PSUs - $400

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
Another point for this chassis that they're indicating it's SC846BA-R920B which is the newer revision that has proper mounting for the rear hotswap 2.5" drive module.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
I bought from that seller a few months ago, but not via ebay. I just contacted them via their website. I got an older 846A chassis with rails (that one has no rails), but with gold non-SQ PSUs. It came out to about $450 shipped. Shipping for me with that listing comes out $454 so considering the SQ PSUs I do think this is a pretty good deal. I would say try to contact them via their website and see if they would include the rails at the same price. Wish they had this when I was looking for an 846A chassis....

james23

Nov 18, 2014
No trays kinda sucks.
agree, unless you happen to find a really good deal, u could be looking at 100-200$ for 24 treys (or some random much lower good deals do pop up sometimes on ebay for treys).

that said,
1- this seller is great (i have done several supermicro deals with him as far back as 4 years ago, great ship/pkg too)

2- that specific backplane is GREAT , and expensive (on ebay)... NOTE: its a DIRECT ATTACH, not an expander, so you will need 6x SFF connectors. *BUT* direct attached (vs more common expander / backplane, with just 1 SFF port) means you get full speed access to the drives (up to max of your adapter is capable of). I have 3 x of this exact backplane running 24x7 for 6 yrs+ never an issue ( + you dont have to deal with any potential expander/hba compatibility issues, even latent hard to initially see compatibility issues that may bite you down the r0ad)

3- those SQ pwer supples are GREAT and $$$. they are a bit more energy efficient than the stock ones (i think i went from ~470w to ~350w iirc), but they are MUCH quieter than stock psus (there are a few detailed threads on exactly this psu here on STH)

good chasis, good price.

cathode

Jul 26, 2017
I bought one of these from this seller, and a CSE-835BTQ system as well. I went with one of their listings that had the server, trays, an X9DRi-LN4F+ motherboard, 2x Xeon E5-2630L CPUs, and 32GB RAM, cost me $938 including shipping for the 846BA unit, and the 835BTQ with basically the same internals was $608 shipped, and has 1280W platinum SQ power supplies.

EDIT: Oh, both of the units I ordered include rails. The link the original post does not. Rails are spendy so I always prefer to find a listing where they're included.

I have ordered from the seller before (for work) and they do a fantastic job of packing and shipping.

sfbayzfs

May 6, 2015
SF Bay area
That is a steal for the PWS-920P-SQ power supplies alone, the best you usually see them for is $100 each, then the A model direct backplane is worth at least $200 and poof, you have a free chassis to put them in!

Trays should only be $2 each if you buy several at once, I should have plenty of extras if nobody is selling right now.

It's too bad there are so many 846 (and 847) chassis' up on ebay with the old style rail mounts and/or the worthless SAS1 expander backplanes (which drives up the price of SAS2 expander, TQ, and A model direct backplanes once people find out they can't use large drives reliably)

This deal is great, but if you find another, do NOT buy without checking what backplanes it has - SAS8?6-EL1 and SAS8?6-7EL1 backplanes are to be avoided!