Supermicro 4U 45 bay JBOD chassis - $300

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Ugh...they offered to do a full refund. I really feel like there should be something in between.
Full refund AND they pay to ship back? Rock and a hard place. Wonder where they will end up if you do send back, recycle bin?

briandm81

Aug 31, 2014
Once I test it out and make sure that it works physically, I'll suggest they just refund the shipping costs. Seems reasonable, right?

raileon

Jun 22, 2016
So uh... I actually picked mine up and dodged the shipping mess these guys caused purely by luck.

They do have the rails and mine came with them. If you need them and didn't get them you should definitely push for them since they are displayed clearly in the pics.

Sorry to hear about the horrible shipping job :(

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Holy sh|t @raileon, you got one of those HGST 60 bay units AND one of these???

:p

Do you mind sharing what your plans are for them other than shipping me the 847 once you realize you have too many slots and not enough disks/ssd's? HAHA

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I got mine today. Undamaged as well. The bad news is that I ordered the 36-bay server and got the 45 bay JBOD :-/

Interestingly enough, they removed the right side rack ears for shipment.

Last edited:

raileon

Jun 22, 2016
Holy sh|t @raileon, you got one of those HGST 60 bay units AND one of these???

:p

Do you mind sharing what your plans are for them other than shipping me the 847 once you realize you have too many slots and not enough disks/ssd's? HAHA
Getting both at the same time was mostly just a coincidence that the deals happened so close together! I don't need that many drive bays but I did need to upgrade my Norco.

Current plans are to test the SM and the HGST, figure out which one I like most and offload the other plus the Norco. Right now I'm thinking the HGST is the better choice but the scattered reports of some drives not working plus the cost of replacing a PSU or expander in the HGST could be ridiculous.

Plus I upgraded my SM with the CB3 board and PWS-1K28P-SQ PSUs so I'm going to let them battle it out for the next couple of weeks before picking a winner :D

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
Getting both at the same time was mostly just a coincidence that the deals happened so close together! I don't need that many drive bays but I did need to upgrade my Norco.

Current plans are to test the SM and the HGST, figure out which one I like most and offload the other plus the Norco. Right now I'm thinking the HGST is the better choice but the scattered reports of some drives not working plus the cost of replacing a PSU or expander in the HGST could be ridiculous.

Plus I upgraded my SM with the CB3 board and PWS-1K28P-SQ PSUs so I'm going to let them battle it out for the next couple of weeks before picking a winner :D
I couldn't help myself either and ordered one of the HGST models as well. You know I'm not 100% sold on the front look of that chassis but I could always have a new front cover made for it at a local machine shop. Plus the draw of how nice those 60 bays looked was just too much to pass up. That and the fact I would imagine these chassis should cost 10 times the current price brand new.

But like you, if I don't like it I can always sell it once they are gone from eBay or better yet, wait till one of you suckers need a replacement expander or power supply and guess who will have exactly what you need at a highly inflated price... haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gene

Jan 27, 2016
I couldn't help myself either and ordered one of the HGST models as well. You know I'm not 100% sold on the front look of that chassis but I could always have a new front cover made for it at a local machine shop.
I don't get why anyone cares what it looks like in the front. Most racks have a door that makes it hard to see anything anyway and at least mine is in the basement storage room so no one goes in there

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
If it's in a basement behind a closed door, I wouldn't care either. Mine will be in a rack yes, but in plain view in my game room so it will be seen.

I could always paint just the front cover black to blend in so it doesn't stick out. Since rack is black and this chassis being a grey/silver, it will defiantly draw your eye to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
I got mine today. Undamaged as well. The bad news is that I ordered the 36-bay server and got the 45 bay JBOD :-/

Interestingly enough, they removed the right side rack ears for shipment.
This is a good thing right or we're you really hoping for the 36 bay version?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
This is a good thing right or we're you really hoping for the 36 bay version?
I was hoping for the 36 bay version. It was cheaper than re-cabling the existing 36-bay I have.

On the other hand, the HGST 60 bay will not fit our current racks by less than 1" so perhaps it is a blessing in disguise.