Supermicro 4U 45 bay JBOD chassis - $300

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zeynel

Dream Large, Live Larger
Nov 4, 2015
will get all of them but does not ship to germany :/

nice find !

briandm81

Aug 31, 2014
REally? Then the question is does it include the sas2 expanders at all...for that price.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
REally? Then the question is does it include the sas2 expanders at all...for that price.
It should. Seller is quite reputable and I've purchased things from them before. There's no catch so far as I can see.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Agree that Liquid8 is very reputable. Every now and then they seem to price things WAY below market. If you need a big 3.5" disk chassis I'd grab these PDQ (@briandm81, wink, wink).

sfbayzfs

May 6, 2015
SF Bay area
I was about to post this, but you beat me to it!

Someone PLEASE buy these ASAP - I am super-tempted to get more spares, but I am trying to get rid of stuff! (I just redid my rack yesterday, and it is going to be FULL - I am going to do a huge update to my FS thread tonight if I have time!) It is almost worth it just for the backplanes and power supplies even if they don't come with the pictured, but not mentioned in text rails!

Yes, although the 36-bay units often come with SAS1 expander backplanes, which need to be replaced, the 45-bay is only SAS2! (if anyone wants 5 sets or maybe more of the 24-drive and 12-drive SAS1 backplanes for drive wiping, experimentation, etc., PM me!)

I have generally heard good things about this seller, but I never bought anything myself. Am I misremembering someone being unhappy with their packing quality of a large heavy system maybe a year ago or so? Has anyone received anything large and heavy from them recently? What kind of packaging do they use?

My personal peeve is with sellers using inadequate packing, especially for 3U and 4U systems - At least 5 times I have been suckered in and bought from a seller I haven't dealt with before, I get burned with a sheared off handle, bent chassis, or worse (smashed power supply once!), and a return and waste of my time. You would think that sellers would realize jamming a server into a box less than 1/2 an inch larger than it with some bubble wrap is just going to result in a return. Sometimes when I'm feeling more cynical I think they deliberately pack poorly so UPS will pay them out on a damage claim - nowadays UPS pays out quickly and collects the item for their own liquidation sales, I have heard this is because people typically underinsure, and they can make money on it.

If the original Supermicro shippers are not available, the heavy duty expanding "instapak" foam in the silver plastic covering seems to be the next best thing if there is enough of it, although one seller used the consumer grade version in white plastic, which is a lot softer, and the left handle of one of these 45-bay units sadly got sheared off (including the 3 mounts) in transit :( That was before these went on $300-400 fire sale instead of 900-ish apiece, but if anyone wants to pick one up locally, it's yours for $240.

Last edited:

wsuff

Aug 16, 2015
Ya good seller bought VA Linux servers from them eons ago when I lived close enough for pickup.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

briandm81

Aug 31, 2014
I bit. Will report back! Thanks everyone for pointing this one out for me. Really timely.

Xamayon

Jan 7, 2016
Got one of these a few months ago from a different seller who had a bunch at almost the same price, and it had a very unusual issue. In case anyone else encounters similar strange issues:

Nine of the rear backplane slots continually flashed red regardless of whether the backplane was connected to a controller. Those slots were completely non-functional, and the RAID card I used was reading the rear backplane as only having 12 slots. Took a bit of troubleshooting, but it turns out someone flashed half of the firmware for a 2U 12 port backplane on the 4U 21 port rear backplane... Thankfully, re-flashing everything properly fixed it. I have to wonder what the previous owner was trying to do with it.

raileon

Jun 22, 2016
I grabbed one too. I had asked the seller if the backplane was sas1 or sas2 before I saw some of you folks reply that the 45 bay model only came with the sas2 version.

I just got a reply which gave me the sas address on the backplane. So backplane confirmed. :)

briandm81

Aug 31, 2014
I don't really need rails. Time to order an 8e or 16e controller. Any recommendations on the 8088 cables?

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Sumb|tch...missed out, good score fellas, I didn't need one but for that price DAMN, sniff sniff, could have got rid of that unsightly norco 4224 and almost doubled my disk slots...GRRR at being too busy w/ work and then RIGHT into a house project (wife has been on my a$$ to finish off 300sqft of pavers for a patio)....just my luck.

EDIT: @briandm81 and @raileon ...I hate you all so VERY VERY much /endCartmanvoice!

hahah j/k fellas, much love! Enjoy your new shiny toys, I'm just jealous heh

Reactions: cperalt1

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
@whitey at least the pavers will look nice at Xmas time when all the visitors come over.
I will make the BBQ much more enjoyable. :D