Supermicro 4u 24 bay chassis with SAS2 expander

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
well... you decide it.
I only give the information that can be downloaded from SM site:p

honestly on your scenario where mostl idle... you rarely pull 200W or more :D.

I introduced 500W and 740W. let everyone decides to pick:...

500W and 740W platinum price is mostly identical... when buying the right time
740W is widely available mostly on Ebay, 500W is just poping out and disappear quick .

I bought $120 free shipping for 2X 500W platinum.
I cannot find the 500Ws! If you got a link, please share!

And actually. By my calculations though, having the ability to add a 2nd CPU will exceed 500W max capacity if I ever decide to do that.

On a side note, I chose my components carefully to be lower powered at idle (I hope, will assemble shortly).

But, I will be moving my 3x GTX Titans over to my 846 chassis sometime in the future, when I upgrade my desktop. I have 2x AMD R9 280x I will have in it for now with an external PSU for now.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
I cannot find the 500Ws! If you got a link, please share!

And actually. By my calculations though, having the ability to add a 2nd CPU will exceed 500W max capacity if I ever decide to do that.

On a side note, I chose my components carefully to be lower powered at idle (I hope, will assemble shortly).

But, I will be moving my 3x GTX Titans over to my 846 chassis sometime in the future, when I upgrade my desktop. I have 2x AMD R9 280x I will have in it for now with an external PSU for now.
use search/follow function on ebay: Saving your searches

To follow a search:
  1. From the top of any page, enter the item you're looking for in the search box, and then click Search.

2. On the search results page, click Follow this search at the top of your results page. You may be asked to sign in.

3. Select the checkbox if you want to receive email notifications when new items match your search.

as I said, 500W is not common and very quick got sold ( unless the seller not puting $$$$)....

Morgan Simmons

Feb 18, 2015
Does anyone have a current source for one of these for around the same price? CertifiedServers and MrRackables are both out of them.

Thanks!

Morgan Simmons

Feb 18, 2015
Dear marshallsimmons,

It is higher than before, this is due to the fact that the price on these machines has gone up in recent months. The 280 that server the home was referring to was over 6 months ago. We can do the other configuration you are looking at but the price would be $400. Let me know if this works fro you and we can get your order placed.

-Jose

- certifiedservers

Dajinn

Jun 2, 2015
Jesus. I also bet they aren't even including shipping in that price. At this point you are better off getting the 2U 12 bay chassis(like a couple, maybe 3)and doing some converged computing.

Morgan Simmons

Feb 18, 2015
Jesus. I also bet they aren't even including shipping in that price. At this point you are better off getting the 2U 12 bay chassis(like a couple, maybe 3)and doing some converged computing.
I thought about it. It just sucks because I have all full height cards, and just bought a pair of 4u supermicro heatsinks. It will just expensive to switch over.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
I thought about it. It just sucks because I have all full height cards, and just bought a pair of 4u supermicro heatsinks. It will just expensive to switch over.
If you are not in a rush. Set search follow on eBay that can be sent to eBay account, email, and eBay apps.

400 is smacking the server case to your face. Aka rip off

Dajinn

Jun 2, 2015
Does anyone here have experience with directly attached(TQ)backplanes? I'm curious if the front LEDs still function with regular mini-SAS to 4x SATA breakout cables without the SPGIO sideband connector.

markarr

Oct 31, 2013
Does anyone here have experience with directly attached(TQ)backplanes? I'm curious if the front LEDs still function with regular mini-SAS to 4x SATA breakout cables without the SPGIO sideband connector.
I have the TQ backplane and my drive lights work as normal connected to both SATA ports and a HBA. They are off till activity rather than on and dim for activity.

markarr

Oct 31, 2013
Mine came with those cables, but when hooked up to the SATA ports on the mb without the SPIGO the lights worked fine.

Last edited:

Kristian

Jun 1, 2013
I have two 836TQ Backplanes at home. The lights are working as intended with every SFF-8087 breakout cable I have tried... from no name over adaptec to lsi ...

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
HDD cage screws...

So, none of the packs of screws I have are short enough. The head is too tall to fit in the slot.

Is there a set of tapered screws y'all are using to mount the HDDs?

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
Are you guys blocking up unused drive bays to increase airflow over the bays with HDDs?

I'm detecting a lot of airflow through the empty bays and barely any across the bays with HDDs. Thinking about stuffing some insulation foam to block up the unused bays for now.