Supermicro 4u 24 bay chassis with SAS2 expander

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
Oh man... I spent a good bit of time looking and researching this thing and didn't even notice till hours later the backplane is 3Gb instead of 6Gb. My goal was to put 8 SSDs and a few big drives for backup in it but without SATA III that kinda kills it for me. Maybe I'm not looking at the right enclosure =/
just getting confused...

this thread deal has SAS2 expander backplane, and supports 6gb

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Only if you ask them for the SAS2 backplane, by default it's not.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
Only if you ask them for the SAS2 backplane, by default it's not.
you can check on Supermicro | Products | Chassis | 4U | SC846E16-R1200B
4U Expander Backplane, features:
• SAS2 compliance
• Scalability through cascading
• 6Gb support
• Inband SES-2 Enclosure Management
• SAS/SATA support
• Single input/output SFF 8087 connectors

if the seller give SAS1 backplane, talk to the seller to fix the issue since this HAS SAS2 compliance.

TeeJayHoward

Feb 12, 2013
SuperBiiz.com has them on sale for $11.99 last week, I got mine early this week.
Heads-up to anyone who doesn't know. SuperBiiz.com has a F rating with the Better Business Bureau. I've experienced no issues with them myself (yet), but my first package comes in today. As a point, I try not to shop with F-ranked businesses. Sometimes the deals are too good to pass up, and worth the risk. Just be forewarned!

Reactions: HotFix and T_Minus

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Heads-up to anyone who doesn't know. SuperBiiz.com has a F rating with the Better Business Bureau. I've experienced no issues with them myself (yet), but my first package comes in today. As a point, I try not to shop with F-ranked businesses. Sometimes the deals are too good to pass up, and worth the risk. Just be forewarned!

F RATING LINK - CLICK HERE

THIS!

I no longer support them because they screwed me on a number of things, and have shown I'm nothing more than # to them.
I will NEVER buy from them again after recent experiences.

BUT, for drive trays at almost 50% off competitors.. and 2 day free delivery yay, I can make 1 exception :)

Last edited:

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
you can check on Supermicro | Products | Chassis | 4U | SC846E16-R1200B
4U Expander Backplane, features:
• SAS2 compliance
• Scalability through cascading
• 6Gb support
• Inband SES-2 Enclosure Management
• SAS/SATA support
• Single input/output SFF 8087 connectors

if the seller give SAS1 backplane, talk to the seller to fix the issue since this HAS SAS2 compliance.
You're missing the point entirely.

You're buying OLD 846 chassis, not the new ones.

The old ones had SAS1 backplanes.

So, if you're buying them "AS IS" from ebay and not asking... then you get what you get.

As someone who's ordered a # of them I was simply sharing my experience and trying to help you get what you wanted.

MatrixMJK

Aug 21, 2014
The seller in the original post has been very helpful to me and I think others here on the forums. They went out of their way to accommodate some changes I asked for including verifying the SAS2 backplane. All you need to do is ask and I'm sure they will get you what you want. I have bought several things from them and been very pleased with their support and communication.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
We had 1 chassis bent beyond going on rack/rails that sits on a shelf, they handled it and gave me a good discount on another chassis that I'm currently waiting for. Sometimes there can be delays in talking to them, but so far so good.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
You're missing the point entirely.

You're buying OLD 846 chassis, not the new ones.

The old ones had SAS1 backplanes.

So, if you're buying them "AS IS" from ebay and not asking... then you get what you get.

As someone who's ordered a # of them I was simply sharing my experience and trying to help you get what you wanted.
if your stick on OP deals, this is NOT old 846, but used recent 846,
please check the first posting.

this is the second link description on ebay auction: Supermicro SC846E16-R1200B 24 Bay 4U Chassis 2x 1200Watt PSU and Rail Kit
I am sure, this is not old 846, please check on supermicro site.
when a new model coming, the model# will differenet, you can compared model# sas1 and sas2 model server case.

as long the seller point the model#, you must get that model!, unlesss there is fine-print such as with 800W PSU(further looking, everyone know this is old PSU)

I had been good experience with some ebay seller and some bad.
the last good one is, the auction was not including trays, but I pm them and mentioned including trays. At the end, they sent me free trays .

first rule first, pm the seller first to verify, and this can be your ammo when something goes sour.

I PMed the seller months ago ($250+shipping), with all the info, and the seller described as identical what I posted here.

Last edited:

canta

Nov 26, 2014
The seller in the original post has been very helpful to me and I think others here on the forums. They went out of their way to accommodate some changes I asked for including verifying the SAS2 backplane. All you need to do is ask and I'm sure they will get you what you want. I have bought several things from them and been very pleased with their support and communication.
good to know all resolve,
this the auction header that I know "Supermicro SC846E16-R1200B 24 Bay 4U Chassis 2x 1200Watt PSU and Rail Kit" . you should get sas2 backplane and all fans are PWM..
the old 846 fans are without PWM

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
if your stick on OP deals, this is NOT old 846,
please check the first posting.

this is the second link description on ebay auction: Supermicro SC846E16-R1200B 24 Bay 4U Chassis 2x 1200Watt PSU and Rail Kit
I am sure, this is not old 846, please check on supermicro site.

as long the seller point the model#, you must get that model!, unlesss there is fine-print such as with 800W PSU(further looking, everyone know this is old PSU)

I had been good experience with some ebay seller and some bad.
the last good one is, the auction was not including trays, but I pm them and mentioned including trays. At the end, they sent me free trays .

first rule first, pm the seller first to verify, and this can be your ammo when something goes sour.
If you re-read the OP he said "I ASKED" meaning he asked for what he got, it wasn't just "default" order the ebay auction, and get SAS2 1200w, etc...

I'm trying to help you, and you're arguing with me telling me I'm wrong.
If you want what the OP has, then you need to ASK not just order and expect it. I'm trying to help you get what you want here.

Do you have these 4U chassis from this seller because I do, and I have experience dealing with him that I'm trying to put out there to help people on the forum.

If you don't ask you likely won't get SAS2 or the Gold rated power supplies.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
If you re-read the OP he said "I ASKED" meaning he asked for what he got, it wasn't just "default" order the ebay auction, and get SAS2 1200w, etc...

I'm trying to help you, and you're arguing with me telling me I'm wrong.

Do you have these 4U chassis from this seller because I do, and I have experience dealing with him that I'm trying to put out there to help people on the forum.

If you don't ask you likely won't get SAS2 or the Gold rated power supplies.
I PMed the seller months ago ($250+shipping), with all the info, and the seller described as identical what I posted here.

first rule, PM seller before....
-------------------------------------------
was just asking to get $240 and got offer $250.
I PM the model#, to make sure is correct.
what the hell, just bought 250+37 s/h later on, now laying down on the floor unused... :D

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Wow, ok.. what are you confused about then?

Someone got a SAS1 because either:
1. They didn't ask
2. Seller mistake.

Either way, I'm not sure how it affects you now that you're claiming to have talked to the seller? Why are you confused if you talked to them and KNOW what you want / are getting?

canta

Nov 26, 2014
Wow, ok.. what are you confused about then?

Someone got a SAS1 because either:
1. They didn't ask
2. Seller mistake.

Either way, I'm not sure how it affects you now that you're claiming to have talked to the seller? Why are you confused if you talked to them and KNOW what you want / are getting?
confised, since someone mentioned SAS1 backplane,
I know, the OP deal is SAS2 backplane.

if that situation, this is seller mistake!!!

this the link that I bought -> Supermicro SC846E16 R1200B 24 Bay 4U Chassis 2X 1200Watt PSU and Rail Kit | eBay

I just try to help.

PM seller first

-----------------
OK, see the same auction from the same seller with more $ :p -> Supermicro SC846E16 R1200B 24 Bay 4U Chassis 2X 1200Watt PSU and Rail Kit | eBay

if you look further,
the seller post the identical from their previous auction:
Backplane Model: BPN-SAS2-846EL1

Last edited:

Just_Visiting

Oct 14, 2011
Just received my 846 with X8DTE-F motherboard from certified. I would swear that thing was at my house in 3 days. Talk about expedited shipping. I also purchased another X8DTE-F motherboard from them. Figured that I might as well build two esxi hosts to connect to my new freenas box. Unfortunately, the 846 wass giving me an overheat error notification by way of the front LED. I reached out to them to exchange the motherboard, they responded immediately and sent me the replacement motherboard. I've installed with new motherboard with the same result. Now all of the components have tested to be working. What on the chassis could be throwing that error? I don't really want to have to send the 846 back to them.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
THey also tell you the rack/rails are the right cones but they don't letit ocme out hte entire way, and then point to SM as the "Right" ones.. see... ugh. FWIW My mobo from them didn't work either and a new one is arriving this week. If you need any chips be sure to check my 4sale thread, I have a ton of x58/1366 XEONS with RAM :)

MatrixMJK

Aug 21, 2014
What on the chassis could be throwing that error?
Check to make sure the chipset heatsink has really good airflow, and check the temp with an IR meter or something if you can. I had a couple of SM mother boards I installed into tower cases and they did not have the forced air of the chipset and would error out like that and eventually lock up. 49c is where it would act really bad (that is what IPMI was saying the MB temp was).

Make sure air is not blocked over it and it has some direct airflow. The shroud they usually come with can be a pain to work around, but it really does serve a purpose. (hopefully your 846 came with one.)

drake3

Feb 11, 2011
Man, you guys had me freaking out. I bought one of the SC846-E16 units without the motherboard. I knew it said SAS2 backplane in the description, but I could not see the part number due to the backplane mount. I was just getting ready to remove the backplane from the chassis when I found a mirror that let me see the item number "BPN-SAS2-846EL1" I only negotiated price with the seller, but would have been TICKED if I got a SAS1 backplane.

Reactions: T_Minus

Just_Visiting

Oct 14, 2011
THey also tell you the rack/rails are the right cones but they don't letit ocme out hte entire way, and then point to SM as the "Right" ones.. see... ugh. FWIW My mobo from them didn't work either and a new one is arriving this week. If you need any chips be sure to check my 4sale thread, I have a ton of x58/1366 XEONS with RAM :)
I doubt that two different motherboards would have the same exact problem. I was trying not to pull the other motherboard that I purchased from them. It's working perfectly. I can put that in to the 846 tonight. It's currently in an 836 chassis. That's what I used to test the RAM and processors. I'll check out your threads for RAM. I'm good on processors. My plan is to use one motherboard in an ESXI build and the other for a Freenas build.

Just_Visiting

Oct 14, 2011
Check to make sure the chipset heatsink has really good airflow, and check the temp with an IR meter or something if you can. I had a couple of SM mother boards I installed into tower cases and they did not have the forced air of the chipset and would error out like that and eventually lock up. 49c is where it would act really bad (that is what IPMI was saying the MB temp was).

Make sure air is not blocked over it and it has some direct airflow. The shroud they usually come with can be a pain to work around, but it really does serve a purpose. (hopefully your 846 came with one.)
I'll check both of those tonight. All fans are installed and working correctly. Nothing is blocked and I do have the shroud. It was easy to get in and out.