Supermicro 4 node server with 12x drive trays $600

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
Not significantly.

Someone is selling bare bones C6100s for just under $600.

No internal pics of the motherboards and other internals is a bit of a concern.

Could be a good alterative though.

RB

Last edited:

Ken

Feb 10, 2014
What Dell unit are you comparing these to?

At $600 with no drives, RAM, or CPUs, there is a long way to go before this unit becomes functional, and those parts could get quite expensive.

I bought a Dell c6005 which had three nodes, each with 48 Gigs of RAM, for $650 (IIRC)... Simply dividing the cost by the total amount of RAM ($650/144 Gigs) comes to around $4/gig (with the six Hex core CPUs and 3x SATA drives just thrown in for free), what will the RAM for these blades sell for?

There are many reasons to prefer this SuperMicro barebones over, for example, the Dell unit I bought, but I wouldn't think price was one of them. Of course, opinions vary.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
RB - Their image links appear to be broken for me in the post but they have these pictures linked:

http://neintl.net/files/system/25/supermicro_1.jpg
http://neintl.net/files/system/25/supermicro_2.jpg
http://neintl.net/files/system/25/supermicro_3.jpg
http://neintl.net/files/system/25/supermicro_4.jpg
http://neintl.net/files/system/25/supermicro_5.jpg

Based on that I would guess this is not a Q system (QDR infiniband) as they linked for description and instead is: Supermicro | Products | SuperServers | 2U | 6026TT-HTRF

It has the 82574L's instead of the 82576 and no mezzanine slot.

Here is a link to the motherboard I think is in there: Super Micro Computer, Inc. - Products | Motherboards | Xeon Boards | X8DTT-HF+

Now here's the very interesting question... I wonder if these sleds also fit the E5 motherboards. I know there are versions that both come in the SC827 chassis but do not know if that would work.

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
Ok, so these are the ones we have discussed before. No IB, no mezzanine slots, no PCIe risers.

I think we would be lucky to find another gen board that would match the node connector boards used to connect to the chassis midplanes. Would be happy to be proven wrong though :).

pgh5278

Oct 25, 2012
Australia
RimBlock, WOW some very broad brushed comments, which are not factually correct as generalizations you wrote. I am not interested in which one is better or worse, but just to clarify some misconceptions..
There is now a very good knowledge on the C6100 in the forums, possibly due to their availability and cheap price a year or so ago, ( the early learning curve was steep from my observations, but now hte product knowledge is very mature) but much less so on the SM multinode options. ( I am no expert ) These boards some in a myriad of configurations, and the chassis in 2 or 4 node. The boards come in 2011 (v1 and V2) and 1366 formats as well as AMD!!, you can buy new 2011 boards as a slot in upgrade and a new LGA2011, PCIe 3.0 version is under 380 at a rather higher priced ebay seller.
The boards / Chassis come in 2 basic types , those with an ATX style power connection, one on either side at the front of the board ( similar to the Intel and ASUS versions, which all appear similar?) There is another board / chassis version which does not use the ATX style connecter, but the Power Supply has what you could say is a quick connect ( aligned , so you can remove boards and PS eaily and not require any tools etc. ), and the backplane acts as a distrubution board as well is drive interface, these backplanes are available for under 200 on ebay, ( or more if you wish to pay more)
There are also versions which have a good number of slots.. as this one in table below, starting with the option of 3 x PCIE 3.0 * bit riser card option plus several other slots for addon boards, as well as builtin IB etc.
Also most of the option / configurations are also available in 1366 5600 series boards or 5500 if one wishes, I picked up 5600 series 1366 board and tray with IB / QDR built in to board, plus a 16 bit slot which can either be a single card or mone came with riser with 2 slots available for 8 bit PCI2 2.0 cards.
Much of the options we have as second hand users is what is available at the time we need something, and the life cycle of the products sold 2 and 3 yrs ago!! The reason I went for the SM multinode was 2 fold, (am no rocket scientist, but have spent a life sending very high tech electronic packages into oil and gas wells upto 400F) and wanted 2 nodes which used full 2 U height, and I found the workings, bios, systems much less of a mystery than some of the larger brands like HP and DELL. An example is changing fans to a lower speed version is very simple with options in Bios and 4 pin fans connectors as used in all standrard type of current motherboards) So simplicity was a major decision process. in my case..

[COLOR=#003366 !important]1. Dual socket R (LGA 2011) supports
Intel® Xeon® processor E5-2600
and E5-2600 v2 family[SUP]†[/SUP]
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#003366 !important]2. Intel® C602 chipset; QPI up to 8.0GT/s[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#003366 !important]3. Up to 512GB ECC DDR3, up to
1866MHz; 8x DIMM sockets
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#003366 !important]4. Expansion slots: 1 x24 left hand riser
+ 1 x8 for SMCI storage AOC
(support up to 3 add-on cards)
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#003366 !important]5. Single port IB (QDR, 40 Gbps)
w/ QSFP connector
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#003366 !important]6. Intel® i350 Dual port GbE LAN[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#003366 !important]7. 5x SATA2 and 2x SATA3 ports[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#003366 !important]8. Integrated IPMI 2.0 and KVM with
Dedicated LAN
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#003366 !important]9. 3x USB 2.0 ports (2 rear, 1 Type-A)

[/COLOR]

idea

May 19, 2011
RimBlock, WOW some very broad brushed comments, which are not factually correct as generalizations you wrote. I am not interested in which one is better or worse, but just to clarify some misconceptions..
There is now a very good knowledge on the C6100 in the forums, possibly due to their availability and cheap price a year or so ago, ( the early learning curve was steep from my observations, but now hte product knowledge is very mature) but much less so on the SM multinode options. ( I am no expert ) These boards some in a myriad of configurations, and the chassis in 2 or 4 node. The boards come in 2011 (v1 and V2) and 1366 formats as well as AMD!!, you can buy new 2011 boards as a slot in upgrade and a new LGA2011, PCIe 3.0 version is under 380 at a rather higher priced ebay seller.
The boards / Chassis come in 2 basic types , those with an ATX style power connection, one on either side at the front of the board ( similar to the Intel and ASUS versions, which all appear similar?) There is another board / chassis version which does not use the ATX style connecter, but the Power Supply has what you could say is a quick connect ( aligned , so you can remove boards and PS eaily and not require any tools etc. ), and the backplane acts as a distrubution board as well is drive interface, these backplanes are available for under 200 on ebay, ( or more if you wish to pay more)
There are also versions which have a good number of slots.. as this one in table below, starting with the option of 3 x PCIE 3.0 * bit riser card option plus several other slots for addon boards, as well as builtin IB etc.
Also most of the option / configurations are also available in 1366 5600 series boards or 5500 if one wishes, I picked up 5600 series 1366 board and tray with IB / QDR built in to board, plus a 16 bit slot which can either be a single card or mone came with riser with 2 slots available for 8 bit PCI2 2.0 cards.
Much of the options we have as second hand users is what is available at the time we need something, and the life cycle of the products sold 2 and 3 yrs ago!! The reason I went for the SM multinode was 2 fold, (am no rocket scientist, but have spent a life sending very high tech electronic packages into oil and gas wells upto 400F) and wanted 2 nodes which used full 2 U height, and I found the workings, bios, systems much less of a mystery than some of the larger brands like HP and DELL. An example is changing fans to a lower speed version is very simple with options in Bios and 4 pin fans connectors as used in all standrard type of current motherboards) So simplicity was a major decision process. in my case..

[COLOR=#003366 !important]1. Dual socket R (LGA 2011) supports
Intel® Xeon® processor E5-2600
and E5-2600 v2 family[SUP]†[/SUP]
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#003366 !important]2. Intel® C602 chipset; QPI up to 8.0GT/s[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#003366 !important]3. Up to 512GB ECC DDR3, up to
1866MHz; 8x DIMM sockets
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#003366 !important]4. Expansion slots: 1 x24 left hand riser
+ 1 x8 for SMCI storage AOC
(support up to 3 add-on cards)
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#003366 !important]5. Single port IB (QDR, 40 Gbps)
w/ QSFP connector
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#003366 !important]6. Intel® i350 Dual port GbE LAN[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#003366 !important]7. 5x SATA2 and 2x SATA3 ports[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#003366 !important]8. Integrated IPMI 2.0 and KVM with
Dedicated LAN
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#003366 !important]9. 3x USB 2.0 ports (2 rear, 1 Type-A)

[/COLOR]
I have no idea what you just said but you sound mad

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
I have no idea what you just said but you sound mad
I think what he is trying to say is that there are a limited set of interchangable boards for the Supermicro Twin series of servers and they can be found at this link. You may also need additional connector boards to mate them with the chassis and only the X8 series boards are hot swappable (apparently).

Not sure, however, why he thinks I should respond to posts on the basis of what he is interested in though. Seems a bit strange.

Would it me provocative to add that getting this unit and then upgrading to LGA 2011 boards for the 4 nodes would make it significantly more expensive than picking up a bare bones C6220 at current pricing ;). I guess Supermicro may allow a further gen upgrade path... possibly, maybe, for this unit.

RB