Supermicro 3.5 HDD screws

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I've lost as many of this little boogers as I've ever used. Ran out and went looking for the best deal. Supermicro wants $7 and something plus shipping. eBay about double that plus shipping. Supermicro shipping makes eBay the better deal. But wait, there's more. I found them on Amazon for $8.49 for 300pcs.

They are the exact same screws minus the little stickers that come with the SM brand but I never use the stickers so that's a non issue. 300 will last me awhile. :) Screws.jpg

Scott Laird

Aug 30, 2014
FWIW, SM drive screws are *almost* standard #6-32 flat-head screws, but they have a smaller head than anything I've seen from McMaster Carr or similar. I've had to use generic screws before, and *sometimes* I can still get the sled into the bay, but usually the screws get hung up and it won't go in properly. It's usually pretty obvious if you have the right screws--if they're flush-ish, then you're fine.

Reactions: Silly Valley Serf

Jaket

Jan 4, 2017
Seattle, New York
purevoltage.com
It's always a pain dealing with these all at the data center. Picked up 600 of those and 800 of the 2.5" ones.
Also bought two cases to store them into so our team can know which is for which drives. :)

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Yea, I've run into screws that weren't quite right and would snag on the frame. These sit flush so no problem. I only have 2 2.5 chassis, a SM and a Quanta so 2.5 screws aren't as critical as the 3.5's.

Reactions: Markess

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
I've lost as many of this little boogers as I've ever used. Ran out and went looking for the best deal. Supermicro wants $7 and something plus shipping. eBay about double that plus shipping. Supermicro shipping makes eBay the better deal. But wait, there's more. I found them on Amazon for $8.49 for 300pcs.

They are the exact same screws minus the little stickers that come with the SM brand but I never use the stickers so that's a non issue. 300 will last me awhile. :) View attachment 24973

In my experience, screws like these actually sprout legs and escape. That's the only thing I can think is happening when I can't find any....because there's no way that someone as supremely organized as I am would loose them!!!

SInce I'm currently out myself, I went to order some at the link and Amazon politely reminded me that I last ordered them in 2021...which I don't remember at all. So, I guess its possible (remotely possible...just a slight chance) that I actually lost a bunch of them...and then forgot about it.

Jaket

Jan 4, 2017
Seattle, New York
purevoltage.com
In my experience, screws like these actually sprout legs and escape. That's the only thing I can think is happening when I can't find any....because there's no way that someone as supremely organized as I am would loose them!!!

SInce I'm currently out myself, I went to order some at the link and Amazon politely reminded me that I last ordered them in 2021...which I don't remember at all. So, I guess its possible (remotely possible...just a slight chance) that I actually lost a bunch of them...and then forgot about it.
They do sprout legs and run!!
Well I think for us sometimes our techs just do something stupid and they get mixed up into a few bags and then become a pain to deal with. This time I bought two separate containers so we can label 2.5 drives screws and 3.5 hopefully that does the trick.

Glock24

May 13, 2019

This has happened to me at least once.

nabsltd

Jan 26, 2022
300 will last me awhile.
I have 16U of older SM chassis that I bought new, so all came with 2 screws in each tray plus a full set of 6 for each tray in the bag with the chassis. Since I only use 4 screws, that means I have twice what I need.

I've never even considered needing to buy more, but then this is my home lab, and they aren't "walking away".

Jaket

Jan 4, 2017
Seattle, New York
purevoltage.com
We have 150+ SM systems which have 24 2.5 inch drive bays no screws for them all. Just tested these on one and they work good for it.
Only thing to note is the 2.5" ones are not as wide which causes them not to work on any of our Quanta systems. Which really sucks as we have a boat load of those as well. I was really hoping they would fit those as well. But at least we have enough for a few hundred SM systems. Now to write down so our staff don't try and use them for the wrong units. :)

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
We have 150+ SM systems which have 24 2.5 inch drive bays no screws for them all. Just tested these on one and they work good for it.
Only thing to note is the 2.5" ones are not as wide which causes them not to work on any of our Quanta systems. Which really sucks as we have a boat load of those as well. I was really hoping they would fit those as well. But at least we have enough for a few hundred SM systems. Now to write down so our staff don't try and use them for the wrong units. :)
You'd think these would be standardized. It's a no brainer and would cost nothing.

Stereodude

Feb 21, 2016
USA

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015