Supermicro 216BE1C-R741JBOD

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Gb.

May 17, 2017
Hi !

I am totally new here, just parsing the forum for 3 hours and am really happy to find you.
Not so easy to find a place where people have already tried a lot of solutions and where we can benefit from their experience.

I have a few questions and I want to start with this one:
I have a virtual machine hosted on a server with a local datastore (and no redundancy).
I want to use a raid card which will handle the local datastore (raid 5 probably) which will handle a DAS through 2 external connectors. I am open to use LSI, Adaptec, Areca which are cards that I use for others projects.
But when I go to the technical specs of the 9380-8I8E for example, I understand that external ports are dedicated to JBOD.

So my first question is:
Is there any limitation on these cards in order to use RAID through an expander in another enclosure?

And the second question:
This Supermicro reference is for JBOD. But I understand that this is only related to the control board (IPMI, see doc: http://www.supermicro.com/manuals/chassis/2U/SC216_JBOD.pdf and expander: https://www.supermicro.com/manuals/other/BPN-SAS3-216EL.pdf).
If I connect the 9380-8I8E (and if we can use external ports for RAID), am I able to create a raid using the disks in the Supermicro enclosure?

I am afraid to do the bad thing.
Maybe I need to connect my VMware server to a full system which handles the raid by itself. I want the maximum performances between these two units (it will be a file server). No redundancy but a backup using the network. Any advice if I am totally wrong?

In a completely different way to see things, is it better to use that as a simple JBOD enclosure and use btrfs to "replace" the hardware raid?

Thank you!
G.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
You can use the ports on the 9380-8i8e HBA/Raid card with or without an expander.

Yes - if you connect your Raid card to the drives in the Supermicro JBOD chassis you can create raid arrays on those drives.

Good luck. Post pictures when you are done :)

Gb.

May 17, 2017
Very nice!

I will keep this post updated once I receive everything.