Supermicro 0.5PB 1U Multi-Host JBOF and RSD 2.1 Released

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
Great writeup. I read the storage review press release from Supermicro and I agree with the comment on the STH article by Alex that this is night and day a better writeup. It isn't storage review's fault. The Supermicro press release is awful on this.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
I think this is very exciting stuff. However, just as with HPE "composible" architecture, it is currently limited to small numbers of hosts in very tight spaces. The cable length limits on distributing PCIe this way will keep it limited to just one rack. Lots of applications that can use that - but I want more.

I am much more excited about it as a stepping stone to NVMe over fabric. Lots of early demo work going on of NVMe over Infiniband and NVMe over Ethernet (RoCE). That is the step that will make this type of technology really take off.

In fact, its not limited to NVMe. The "fabric" versions can encapsulate arbitrary PCIe - which means GPU over fabric, ASIC over fabric, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeggs101