Supermico X9SRL-F Fan help

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Daniels25143

Nov 5, 2016
Good afternoon,
I recently built a server using a supermicro X9-SRL-F and E5-2665 processor and have a Noctua HSF and Noctua case fans to keep things cool. I've already encountered the fan speed threshold issue and have adjusted speeds accordingly so fans don't keep ramping up and down, but now I seem to be encountering a more "fun" issue, the motherboard doesn't seem to be changing the fan speeds according to the current temperatures being encountered. My current situation is this:
1. Boot server
2. Fan speeds are all at minimum RPM ~400, verify fan speed mode is set to optimal.
3. Start a VM to set CPU load to 100%
4. CPU temperatures climb to ~70C with no change in fan speed
5. Manually change fan speed from "optimal" to full speed.
6. Verify all fans are at maximum RPM
7. Manually change fan speed from full speed back to optimal
8. Fan speeds are now running about 1000 RPM, and system temperature levels out to 60C.
9. Turn off stress test VM, CPU temperatures drop to ~38C, but fan speeds remain at ~1000 RPM.

Anyone have any suggestions?

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Did you write down the commandy you used?
When I had to deal with similar symptoms I accidentally changed the wrong settings in ipmi and the fans never changed the speed.

I would reset the bmc/ipmi to defaults and then repeat the steps for the speed treshold issue and look at which point it stops working as expected.

Daniels25143

Nov 5, 2016
Hello,
Thanks for the feedback.
I used the following to get list of all sensors: ipmiutil sensor -N 192.168.1.xxx -U username -P password -c
Then set appropriate fan sensors with the following:
ipmiutil sensor -N 192.168.1.xxx -U username -P password -n 43 -l 300 -h 1650

I will reset to defaults tonight and see what the behavior is out of the box. and go step by step to see where the problem starts.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Not sure if the commands You have given are the right ones to define the fan thresholds. Reset your BMW and try these.

ipmitool sensor thresh FAN# lower lnr lcr lnc
ipmitool sensor thresh FAN# upper unc ucr unr

lnr - Lower Non-Recoverable speed
lcr - Lower Critical speed
lnc - Lower Non-Critical speed

unc - Upper Non-Critical speed
ucr - Upper Critical
unr - Upper Non-Recoverable speed

Example :
ipmitool sensor thresh FAN3 lower 150 200 250

Daniels25143

Nov 5, 2016
So I reset the BMC to defaults and I was unable to see if it was functioning correctly, as the fans were hitting lower speed errors even with the processor at 100%. I was using directions from here to set fan speed thresholds: How To: Change IPMI Sensor Thresholds using ipmiutil
From the IPMI webgui my thresholds are shown as: 0 75 150 5025 5100 5175

So I set my fan speeds to above, but I kept having the same errors. I then rebooted the BMC, Things appear to be working properly now.