Superchassis CSE-505-203B a + M11SDV - compatibility issues?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Pakna

May 7, 2019
So I ran into a bit of an embarrassing issue yesterday - it seems like Superchassis CSE-505-203B (despite Supermicro's claims) isn't really fully compatible with their EPYC 3000 motherboards.

As you can see in the attached images, the IO panel seems not to support the layout of their motherboards. I have confirmed this with the two parts that I own - the MBD-M11SDV-8C-LN4F-O (Epyc 3251) and MBD-M11SDV-4C-LN4F-O (Epyc 3151). The boards themselves fit cleanly in the chassis, though - just not the front panel.

The STH review of Supermicro AS-5019D-FTN4 server shows a different IO panel - this panel isn't listed as an option available for this chassis.

With a bit of patience and effort I could dremel the parts of the front panel into obedience, but doing this for an industrial server part seems nonsensical.

Is my definition/expecation of "fully compatible" different than Supermicro's or is there a way to align that IO panel with the motherboard that I don't see?

Attachments

Pakna

May 7, 2019
Thanks. That one might fit but isn't the one which is used on the AS-5019D. And the price is eyewatering.

Have you tried this yourself?

Pakna

May 7, 2019
Gotcha - maybe I'll try this.

Curious that after my repeated email exchange with Supermicro support about this very issue prior to purchase, they never mentioned this - their support claimed the chassis is compatible with the lineup I was interested in and that they'll be updating the product matrix. That was over a month ago.

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
Supermicro support isn't wrong that it's compatible, they just didn't mention that you need to purchase an additional part, which is pretty common type of detail for them to miss from my experience. It would have been nice if they gave you the heads up that the additional I/O shield was required so you could plan for it up front.

I've had a few projects delayed over the years by missing similar details. Fortunately most I/O shields are pretty cheap once you figure out the layout you need. It looks like @K D pointed you to the correct one.

The other alternative is to buy a barebones server as they'll include the correct shield.

Reactions: Pakna

Pakna

May 7, 2019
Thank you both - after wasting time dremeling the existing IO plate, I judged it just isn't worth the risk of contaminating the board with metal particles, so I'll order these parts.

Reactions: Aestr