SuperChassis 514 WIO Upgrade Path

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

AndrewX192

Apr 10, 2016
I recently bought a SYS-1019S-WR as I got a reasonable good deal ($300 delivered w/ RAM and CPU), and because it was short-depth, meaning that it will fit in my audio rack. My intent was to use it with the current motherboard and CPU for a few years and then consider upgrading it later, naturately after seeing the H12 Motherboards announced and recent deals on AMD EPYC CPUs I looked into whether I could upgrade the motherboard. The chassis manual isn't too clear about where the standoffs are, but after flipping over the chassis and taking a closer look it appears that it will accept other WIO boards, even when the standoffs need to be relocated as the chassis has multiple different mounting points for standoffs.

I believe this chassis can be upgraded from it's current Xeon E3 board (a X11SSW-F) to a H11SSW-NT or H12SSW-NT, with a modern AMD EPYC cpu, potentially without even needing to replace the rear window / io shield, as these seem to have nearly identical rear IO. Who knows how long SuperMicro will keep it's current proprietary motherboard format, but for now this is pretty nice!