SuperChassis 113MTQ-330CB + X10SDV-7TP8F - Need some help

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
First time working with the 113MTQ and once it was delivered I realized I need some additional parts to make it work with my 7TP8F board.

I've found the right I/O shield so that's on it's way but I'm not sure what front panel connector cable to buy. Motherboard is a 16-pin connector but I can't seem to get into the front of the chassis near the DVD slot to be able to remove the included front panel cable that comes with the chassis.

Can someone who has this case tell me how to get in there? The manual is older than dirt and doesn't show much.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
I think I wrestled with a similar issue when replacing the dvd tray w/ a blanker panel on one of these. It's not real intuitive/obvious so don't feel silly. There is a small screw if memory serves me correct and a release lever but it's been a few months so don't hold me to that. I had a thread that @PigLover helped me in. I'll see if i can dig it up. May have some tips in there. Mine did however come w/ a front panel cable that I just reused on a X8DTL-3F MB that it came with.

Here it is:

Remove DVD drive/tray from SuperMicro SC113

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I think I wrestled with a similar issue when replacing the dvd tray w/ a blanker panel on one of these. It's not real intuitive/obvious so don't feel silly. There is a small screw if memory serves me correct and a release lever but it's been a few months so don't hold me to that. I had a thread that @PigLover helped me in. I'll see if i can dig it up. May have some tips in there. Mine did however come w/ a front panel cable that I just reused on a X8DTL-3F MB that it came with.

Here it is:

Remove DVD drive/tray from SuperMicro SC113
Ahhh thank you!

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Ok so I determined that the cable is 20-pin on both ends. So I need a 20-pin to 16-pin cable yet I don't see one listed on SM's website.

EDIT: Nvmd I think this should work.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
It kills me that I have to wait over a week to get one of these cables. Can't find any from retailers on the east coast. Grrrrrrr.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
On most SM motherboards you can just put the 20-pin connector over the 16 pin header with pin 1 aligned. The extra pins won't matter. You only have a problem doing this if there are other components or connectors that get in the way.

Reactions: wsuff and Patrick

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
On most SM motherboards you can just put the 20-pin connector over the 16 pin header with pin 1 aligned. The extra pins won't matter. You only have a problem doing this if there are other components or connectors that get in the way.
Good tip. Was not aware of this.