Super weird experience trying to buy Dell PowerConnect switches

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

leonroy

Oct 6, 2015
Had the weirdest phone call with Dell.

I've been a Dell customer a long time and love the bang for your buck their lower end PowerConnect switches give. I was looking to upgrade our 28XX switches to the new PowerConnect X10XX range and thought I'd give them a call to see if I could get a quantity discount.

Call goes something like this:

Me: Hello, I'm interested in a couple of Dell PowerConnect switches, specifically the X1026, X1018P and X1008P. What's your best price on those?

Dell Agent: Sir, those are not the switches for you.

Me: Excuse me? Why not?

Dell Agent: Those switches are not very good, especially for demanding customers like yourself, may I recommend the Campus Switches.

Me: Look I appreciate the upsell, but I want some simple, quiet switches for our offices. My budget is at most £300 per switch and I'm pretty sure your Campus switches cost a lot more than that. I'd like prices for the X10XX series please.

Dell Agent: Sir I assure you, those are no good. They cannot handle load. They don't work with more than one or two computers plugged in.

Me: Are you saying your 48 port X10 series switch can't handle more than one or two computers?

Dell Agent: That is correct sir.

Me: You are kidding right? I'm sure that violates UK law which stipulates goods must be suitable for purpose and as described.

Dell Agent: Sir, I will get that price for our Campus Switches, they are excellent.

Me: Wait...!

Agent goes away for a minute and returns with a price of £884.

Me: *bangs head on table* Never mind, thank you.

Anyone had an experience like this with Dell? To say I was incredulous is putting it mildly - unbelievable!

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
I've found out of control sales reps from time to time at almost every company. Did you get his name? If so, find a supervisor and report it.

Don't judge them by the actions of this individual. Judge them by how they respond after you report it to them.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Also - if you are just buying a couple of small switches - find their direct channel website. Working with a rep won't help you unless your are spending $many $thousands (or apparently in your case £many £thousands)

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Reactions: leonroy

leonroy

Oct 6, 2015
Yep, overseas rep.

Pity because their UK reps at the London Data Centre Expo were fantastic. Showed me round their kit, helped me understand the new features and went deep into the technical features of Dell's new range. Guess outsourcing outside the company will always reduce costs but result in mixed results.

Jerry Renwick

Aug 7, 2014
I really don't like some salesperson, they are not trustworthy and always promote the products that are not suitable for us, but they can get profit from it!