Super micro cse846 front panel connector, need help!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jebusfreek666

Feb 6, 2020
Ok, so I have a SM 846 case that has a ribbon connector from the front panel. It is a 16 pin ribbon. My board is a super micro x11ssm-f. The jf1 header on it has 18 pins, with a gap between the first set and the third. I know there is an adapter I can get from supermicro, but I'm having a hell of a time figuring out which one I need. I'm pretty sure it's cbl-0084l, but am not sure. That one is a 16 pin to split 16 pin. The 2 pins I am assuming that would be skipped then are labeled in the manual as sw-nmi-n and ground. No idea what that is, but fairly certainly n I don't need it as I don't think it was connected in an old case. Please help me out before I place an order if you can..

Thanks!

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
If it's a 16 pin connector, you need the CBL-0084L (there are some ancient chassis which have a 20-pin connector -> CBL-0067). The CBL-0084L is labeled. The label doesn't always match the actual assignment, but the Reset and Power has always been correctly labeled. Finding out which LED is which takes about 2 minutes of your time (Plug into Power LED header on your mobo).

Also the polarity of the LEDs was consistent, but I don't remember what it was exactly.

Nvm, realised he's using a Supermicro Mobo

Last edited:

StevenDTX

Aug 17, 2016
Im using an H11SSL-NC in an 836 with the 16 pin cable, and it works just fine. Power and LEDs all work.

Jebusfreek666

Feb 6, 2020
You don't need another cable. Just connect the 16 pin cable to the 18 pin header correctly.

That's all you're gonna lose.
I'm not sure exactly how to connect it. If I try to line up the ribbon so that the 16 slots line up with the back 16 pins, the plastic head seems to catch on the front 2 pins on the board. I thought maybe the gap between the first set of pins and the third set was so the ribbon style connector could still fit, but it doesn't seem to.

Edit: Well, I guess I was wrong. Attempt #2 and it slid on without any problems. I spent 30 minutes last night trying to get it on there and couldn't. Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: kapone

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
The ribbon cable has a red edge wire and goes to pin 1on the motherboard connector.
See the little black square in JF1 on the attached image.

Make sure you are not accidentally trying to plug into JTPM1 as they kinda look similar but the pin spacing on JTPM1 is more constrained. seems like it would fit but it really doesn't though you can force it (and DON'T)

The FP connector JF1 will take the 16 pin chassis cable exactly in the first 16 pins (2x8). Don't worry about the plastic from the chassis cable touching the orphan pins at the end - it shouldn't but even if it does so what. Don't worry about the 2 orphaned pins.

I pulled the quick reference guide and clipped the relevant portion. Red ellipse is your target.

X11SS-JF1.jpg

Reactions: Jorsher