Super cheap Supermicro Superserver! 1U w/ 8x 2.5" bay & X8DTL

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
This is a great deal for the chassis alone (if you need an 8xSFF chassis). Redundant PSU is a mixed blessing sometimes.

Buy it, strip the MB and unload it on eBay (you'll likely get $30-60 back, depending on how patient you are).

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
You can get them for less than $2/each on ebay if you shop carefully, are patient and use offers. I recently purchased a small lot for $1.65 each after tex, shipped

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
These are also great chassis to swap our the rear window to allow basically any motherboard you have to fit nicely. I bought a handful of 815 chassis for $35 on eBay and ordered new rear windows from SM for $8/EA and run 6 of them with low power AM1 boards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rjoancea

Apr 28, 2015
If I thought there was a chance to make these not scream, I'd be tempted to grab for a 1u pfsense appliance box.

Reactions: Bradford

jpk

Nov 6, 2015
Redundant PSU is a mixed blessing sometimes.
I always prefer having the redundant PSU...
A long, long time ago, I swapped a couple 2U 825s that were single PSU to use redundant by swapping in the redundant power distribution board, but it wouldn't be that easy for these.

Your welcome.
Ha! That makes it that much harder to resist! :)

These are also great chassis to swap our the rear window...
Again, a long time ago I tried buying different rear windows from a SM reseller - it was really hard getting them to find what I asked for. :-/

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
If I thought there was a chance to make these not scream, I'd be tempted to grab for a 1u pfsense appliance box.
you'd be better off getting one of those short depth supermicro chassis. full length chassis with only 1 pci-e slot versus a half depth chassis with only 1 pci-e slot is overkill.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
you'd be better off getting one of those short depth supermicro chassis. full length chassis with only 1 pci-e slot versus a half depth chassis with only 1 pci-e slot is overkill.
I'd agree - but for $85 I'd gladly take this one.

only one expansion slot though
Yes, but with the SM flex-ATX Xeon-D boards you can get a heck of a server using no expansion slots. Or save a few bucks on the MB by getting the one without the 9216 chip and use the single expansion slot for a cheaper used LSI-based card. Heavy expansion isn't required.

The big fans do, indeed, make quite a ruckus when running fast. But a Xeon-D board will spin the them down to 5-7k RPM and leave them there. Its not quiet by any means, but compared to other servers they are quite tolerable. Not even close to "bedroom silent", but certainly "office tolerable".

Last edited:

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
I always prefer having the redundant PSU...
A long, long time ago, I swapped a couple 2U 825s that were single PSU to use redundant by swapping in the redundant power distribution board, but it wouldn't be that easy for these.

Ha! That makes it that much harder to resist! :)

Again, a long time ago I tried buying different rear windows from a SM reseller - it was really hard getting them to find what I asked for. :-/
Easiest way is to skip the resellers altogether and get them directly from SM. I emailed SM support for the correct part # (provided my chassis serial numbers to make sure I got the correct rear window) then I wrote the RMA Dept and they responded with qty in stock and price. It was very painless, quick and dirt cheap.

Most of their chassis use the same rear window as far as 7 year old 815 chassis and 2 year old 815 chassis. So even though my specific chassis were years and years out of production they still stocked the rear windows. This was for both single and dual hot swap power supplies as I had both types of chassis.

jpk

Nov 6, 2015
Easiest way is to skip the resellers altogether and get them directly from SM. I emailed SM support for the correct part # (provided my chassis serial numbers to make sure I got the correct rear window) then I wrote the RMA Dept and they responded with qty in stock and price. It was very painless, quick and dirt cheap.
Well, fine, you convinced me - I put in an offer for 3 & didn't try to barter hard but got $82.50 accepted. :)
I'll report back about packaging when I receive them.

BackupProphet

Jul 2, 2014
Stavanger, Norway
olavgg.com
82.50! That is quite good!
Wondering about picking up some myself and run them with a single L5630 and three sticks of 8GB. I guess these are noisy by default? But by using a L5630 cpu that has max TDP of 40w, maybe I could disconnect all the chassis fans? Perhaps run one with a 4 pin fan resistor cable?

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
Well, fine, you convinced me - I put in an offer for 3 & didn't try to barter hard but got $82.50 accepted. :)
I'll report back about packaging when I receive them.
I'm sure you'll be pleased with their packaging. I ordered a set of (6) 815 chassis from them a few months ago. They came bubbled wrapped thicker and better than any chassis I have ever bought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk