Super Cheap Hitachi UltraStar C10k600 450GB 2.5" TCG Encryption Hard Drives

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

brendantay

Aug 12, 2015
Australia
im going to be using mine for a backup system most likely (if I ever buy a chassis for them)
Just worked out costs (with our crap AUD/USD) these still only cost me $28~AUD posted/each.

20x HDD @ 300 USD + shipping to forwarder ($40 USD) = 453
Forwarding Service @ $75 USD to australia = $104

doop

Jan 16, 2015
Is it possible to use these with HP DL360 G6 or can it only use HP drives?

If you don't mind me asking, what are you guys using these low capacity drives for?
I'm interested since I bought a cheap DL360 G6 that came with broken 146GB drives. I have many 3.5" drives, but I don't think there's an easy way of using them with that server.

BackupProphet

Jul 2, 2014
Stavanger, Norway
olavgg.com
If you don't mind me asking, what are you guys using these low capacity drives for?
They are perfect for cold DB storage/archival. For example PostgreSQL has several storage strategies so you can place hot data/indexes on SSD's and archival data on spinning drives and still be able to query them both with a single query statement.

Emulsifide

Dec 1, 2014
My order of 250 is now complete!

Obligatory meme:

For those wondering, this is a work purchase for two departments (mine and my co-worker's). My co-worker is going to use them to ween off of some even older 146GB Seagate Cheetah 15k drives that we have running a bunch of research machines.

I'm using my half of the stash to experiment with a Ceph cluster. Now to assign a student assistant to removing all of the caddies...

brendantay

Aug 12, 2015
Australia
Well that's kinda cool Aha, and yours look nicely packed.. Got pics of my box today from the forwarder. Shit always seems to be dropped on it's way to me aha.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
im going to be using mine for a backup system most likely (if I ever buy a chassis for them)
Just worked out costs (with our crap AUD/USD) these still only cost me $28~AUD posted/each.

20x HDD @ 300 USD + shipping to forwarder ($40 USD) = 453
Forwarding Service @ $75 USD to australia = $104
Hi @brendantay, bummer about the dropped box, I have reservations about using USPS and Australia Post parcel delivery. I don't think they take care like other services e.g. TNT, DHL etc.

I guess if you want insurance to Australia you'll need pictures that show the goods aren't damaged (according to Shipito). In that case, if goods are damaged, could you have a claim with the shipping service EBay seller used? Just a thought

PS. Which forwarding service to Aus have you based your price of $75. As I'm in Aus and thinking about picking up some drives. If you are using the cheapest service, "Shipito carrier to Australia" or whatever they are called. Could you give a quote for next cheapest carrier, e.g. TNT or DHL? Much appreciated.

Oi! Oi! Oi! :cool:

brendantay

Aug 12, 2015
Australia
Yeah it's a bit of a pain, I'm hoping the box was crushed a little, more than dropped aha, but time will tell I'm sure.

Yeah the price is based on cheapest, from memory the next cheapest was in the 90USD Range, wasn't really worth it to me. I've send servers and motherboards from the same place always using the cheapest method and it's quick and no damage so I don't see the point in paying more aha.
Hope that helps mate.

wardtj

Jan 23, 2015
I'm interested to know too - I have a DL380 G7 with the P410i. Would love to pick some of these up!
You can use pretty much any SATA or SAS drive with the DL360/DL380g6. Just keep in mind on cheaper SATA drives you might just get SATA1 or SATA2 speeds since the controller has a blacklist of drives that do not perform well at 3 or 6 gb/s speeds.

Just check the quickspecs and it will tell you the max supported speed of the cages that drives support.

HTH

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
It turns on the data integrity checking. The whole storage system will check checksums including the OS, controller and drive. These drives support it so I thought I'd turn it on. You can also do it completely off by setting it to 0 (which is the default).
I noticed I/O errors during boot in /var/log/messages when I used --fmtpinfo=3 with format. I reformatted again with default and they didn't happen after reboot.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Have you run any tests yet? Curious how they're working, hours avg on, etc...

Will also be nice to see some performance #s if you're capable / using them in such a way... raid0 some DAS together ;) hehe

Emulsifide

Dec 1, 2014
Have you run any tests yet? Curious how they're working, hours avg on, etc...

Will also be nice to see some performance #s if you're capable / using them in such a way... raid0 some DAS together ;) hehe
I'll see what I can do. I'm waiting for the HBAs to show up. We're going to build out a Ceph cluster to experiment with for bringing storage to whatever we want within our department. A lot of trial and error will be happening this summer.

tjk

Mar 3, 2013
How the hell do you order more than 10? I put in a message to them last week, no reply yet, I try and buy more than 10, and it says limit is 10?

felmyst

Mar 16, 2016
I'll see what I can do. I'm waiting for the HBAs to show up. We're going to build out a Ceph cluster to experiment with for bringing storage to whatever we want within our department. A lot of trial and error will be happening this summer.
Plan on getting a ton of these for my virtualization storage. Will use them as DAS in some supermicro sc216 jbods connected via dell h310. Have you got any errors and/or problems with them? I'm in europe so time is a limiting factor for me: I can't afford returning them and buying something else if I run into problems.

Emulsifide

Dec 1, 2014
Plan on getting a ton of these for my virtualization storage. Will use them as DAS in some supermicro sc216 jbods connected via dell h310. Have you got any errors and/or problems with them? I'm in europe so time is a limiting factor for me: I can't afford returning them and buying something else if I run into problems.
Nothing to report on verifying my giant order yet. I have the HBAs (Avago 9300-8e) in hand and have them identifying the drives and HP D2700 enclosures just fine. Windows Server 2012 R2 is not seeing the drives for some reason (I was going to use WinDFT to scan all of the drives).

I'm in a meeting right now, but once I get out I'll get back on it to figure out what's up. I just got everything hooked up yesterday afternoon.