Super Cheap Hitachi UltraStar C10k600 450GB 2.5" TCG Encryption Hard Drives

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Emulsifide

Dec 1, 2014
I know SSDs are all the rage right now on STH, but if you're looking for some old school spinners, this seller has hundreds of these drives available, which appear to be pulled from NetApp equipment:

Hitachi 450GB 10K 2.5 SAS 6GB/S Hard Drive HDD 0B25856 HUC106045CSS601

I was successful in purchasing them at $15.00/each and ended up buying 30 of them (I made an offer in quantity 26 and quantity 4 at $15.00/each, so you can get the same price in lower quantities) to upgrade my VSAN nodes to some faster spinning disks. With an idle wattage of 3 watts, I think it was worth it. After they arrived all 30 drives were shoved into a couple Supermicro CSE-216 chassis and tested with Badblocks for a few days without finding any errors.

This is how they arrived:

They came perfectly packaged in what appears to be an original NetApp shipping container. If I had to guess, a giant installation of NetApp equipment was upgraded to a larger hard drive across the board.

Some quick and dirty read speed benches on an Intel RMS25KB080 (LSI 2308):

Spec sheet:
https://www.hgst.com/sites/default/files/resources/USC10K600_ds.pdf

Here's a review of the 600GB model:

Three 2.5 SAS Drives: Enterprise Data Giants, Compared - 2.5” Enterprise Hard Drives

EDIT: I forgot to mention shipping. They'll take a day or two to get back to you with the actual shipping cost via FexEx. The large batch of drives I bought came out to about $30.00, which isn't terrible considering it came in two large boxes and was padded with the factory NetApp/Hitachi foam padding that's better than anything I've seen from current hard drive manufacturers.

Last edited:

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
You are awesome and read my mind. Thanks for the pointer. I was actually planning to ask for suggestions. I saw some new HP branded 146gb around this price from couple of other sellers some said with 3 yr warranty. The 300gb new were around $35. Those have caddies that I don't have any use for

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

svt3391

Feb 11, 2016
How much was the shipping? The listing only said 'freight', but from your photo it seemed that they used regular shipper like UPS etc.

Thanks

Emulsifide

Dec 1, 2014
How much was the shipping? The listing only said 'freight', but from your photo it seemed that they used regular shipper like UPS etc.

Thanks
I just added it to the bottom of my post:

EDIT: I forgot to mention shipping. They'll take a day or two to get back to you with the actual shipping cost via FexEx. The large batch of drives I bought came out to about $30.00, which isn't terrible considering it came in two large boxes and was padded with the factory NetApp/Hitachi foam padding that's better than anything I've seen from current hard drive manufacturers.

svt3391

Feb 11, 2016
Thanks.

Oh, the STH effect (a term I borrowed from the SD -- SD effect). :)

Before your post, there was absolutely no offer other than yours on 4/13. Since you posted there were already 8 offers and looks like they were all rejected. I guess either people would either offer even lower, or the seller starts to see traffic and would no longer offer $14 price.

Emulsifide

Dec 1, 2014
Thanks.

Oh, the STH effect (a term I borrowed from the SD -- SD effect). :)

Before your post, there was absolutely no offer other than yours on 4/13. Since you posted there were already 8 offers and looks like they were all rejected. I guess either people would either offer even lower, or the seller starts to see traffic and would no longer offer $14 price.

Crap.....I'm sorry. I don't know why I said $14.00/each. I just checked again and it was $15.00/each. I just updated my original post. That's probably why they're getting rejected.

$15.00/each is still ridiculous considering this is a current SAS drive that Hitachi still sells.

Emulsifide

Dec 1, 2014

J Hart

Apr 23, 2015
I bought a bunch of these as well. They are pretty decent and it seems like the seller has a ton of these available.

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Dammit. I guess I should have posted this two weeks ago didn't even think of it.

They work in IBM X3650 M4 with a M5110e just fine. As mentioned it'll take a couple days to get a shipping price. I paid $62.50 for 17 to Canada, which was fine by me.

Took forever to swap the netapp for IBM trays - so many screws.

I wish I had a 2.5" NetApp tray to try them on and see if OnTAP likes them but that was never my goal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Unless I missed it no one asked how many hours were on these?
Those who have them already -- how many hours?

svt3391

Feb 11, 2016
From what I can tell, I think the seller just accepted pretty much everyone's offers.
Since your initial post earlier today:
Accepted: 6
Pending: 3
Declined: 9

The accepted offers were for quantities. Only one accepted offer was less than 10 units (9). And there were a couple 20 units, and one 32 units. So it's definitely not everyone's offer was accepted.

jmck

Apr 4, 2013
I wonder why this seller has 10 listing for the exact same drive. 7 of them say SPECIAL PRICE but are all more expensive and do have trays. Then 2 others don't say special price but don't come with trays and again are more expensive.

Should have made my offer of 16@$15 for one of the listings without trays. Save time taking them out of the trays.

Emulsifide

Dec 1, 2014
I wonder why this seller has 10 listing for the exact same drive. 7 of them say SPECIAL PRICE but are all more expensive and do have trays. Then 2 others don't say special price but don't come with trays and again are more expensive.

Should have made my offer of 16@$15 for one of the listings without trays. Save time taking them out of the trays.
The initial offer I made was for one of the listings without trays. They came with trays.

Emulsifide

Dec 1, 2014
Since your initial post earlier today:
Accepted: 6
Pending: 3
Declined: 9

The accepted offers were for quantities. Only one accepted offer was less than 10 units (9). And there were a couple 20 units, and one 32 units. So it's definitely not everyone's offer was accepted.
I meant since I revised my post to reflect the $15.00/each offer price. I originally opened the thread by stating that I bought them at $14.00/each, which was a mistake on my behalf. I'm assuming all of the denied offers were at $14.00/each or lower.

My 2nd batch of drives that I purchased before I posted my thread was quantity 4 at $15.00/each. Given my 2nd purchase is the lowest quantity offer that's been made in this listing, you are guaranteed to get your offer accepted if it's at $15.00/each.

J Hart

Apr 23, 2015
FYI. Call them to get them to do the shipping thing for your invoice. I asked about having so many auctions of the same drives and it seems they are posting them as they wipe them(and undercutting themselves...).