Super Cheap Hitachi UltraStar C10k600 450GB 2.5" TCG Encryption Hard Drives

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Flintstone

Jun 11, 2016
I formated all my disks using the method outlined by felmyst - and to me it seems like OmniOS likes them better than before (like I seem to recall a strange message from the "format" command that isn´t there anymore) - it most certainly didn´t hurt. Makes sense to test yourself if you have a few of them. Thank you felmyst!

JayG30

Feb 23, 2015
FYI, I think the T10 protection is causing me some issues....
Was going to try out Nutanix CE and ran into this. Pretty sure I formatted the disks using sg_format (they show as 512b) but never disabled T10 (edit: yep, I previously did sg_format -F --fmtpinfo=3 --pfu=0). Ubuntu seemed to not care about this, nor Windows. But here the install isn't working and constant I/O error complaints like mentioned earlier.

ioerrors2.PNG ioerrors.PNG

PDF on T10

Last edited:

sachem87184

Feb 3, 2015
Has anyone used these drives with a LSI RAID card?

I have a weird issue with the drives. If I use them with a LSI HBA they work fine, but when I use my LSI 9266-8i with them, I can configure to the final step where they'd format, then my server goes black and reboots. When I went into a CentOS Live CD it was throwing error about mis-reporting the block count and that the GPT was corrupted. If I try and format in there the server will also just reboot on me.

Note: I formatted them with sg_format several times, verified the protection is disabled, and that their 512b sectors.

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
Has anyone used these drives with a LSI RAID card?

I have a weird issue with the drives. If I use them with a LSI HBA they work fine, but when I use my LSI 9266-8i with them, I can configure to the final step where they'd format, then my server goes black and reboots. When I went into a CentOS Live CD it was throwing error about mis-reporting the block count and that the GPT was corrupted. If I try and format in there the server will also just reboot on me.
I had 6 of them on a Dell PERC H700 (with Dell firmware), which is a re-branded LSI. I ran them for many, many months without any problems - in fact, they're just coming out today, being replaced by a bunch of Dell-branded (and firmware) Sandisk Lightning II Ascend SSD drives.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flintstone

sachem87184

Feb 3, 2015
Thanks for the info!

Well, I found out the issue. And I'm not proud to say it, but I had it in a powered PCI Express slot, just not one rated for 25w lol. I swapped the slot and viola it worked!

Reactions: Fritz

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Does anyone still need these? I have 24 that I bought, going un-used. Willing to sell at cost.

Tim

Nov 7, 2012
Just wondering if these drives will work in a HP ProLiant DL380 Gen9 with the P440ar or the H240/H240ar.
I guess they'll fit but wanting to avoid this: http://i.stack.imgur.com/qVFjX.png
Would like the led's to work or do you recommend that I dig up original HP disks on ebay for this?

Also, any good for ZFS these drives? (on Solaris or BSD)
A reformat to 512b block size first, but keeping the data integrity settings?

Emulsifide

Dec 1, 2014
Just wondering if these drives will work in a HP ProLiant DL380 Gen9 with the P440ar or the H240/H240ar.
I guess they'll fit but wanting to avoid this: http://i.stack.imgur.com/qVFjX.png
Would like the led's to work or do you recommend that I dig up original HP disks on ebay for this?

Also, any good for ZFS these drives? (on Solaris or BSD)
A reformat to 512b block size first, but keeping the data integrity settings?
The problem you are seeing is a controller issue and can only be rectified by using genuine HP drives OR if HP was kind enough to make a newer firmware that allows you to use any drive you want. I don't know much about the controller you're working with though. I doubt these NetApp drives will show any different of a result.

I'm currently using 8 of these drives in a small ZFS with 2 x Intel S3700 200GB SSDs (one for ZIL and one for L2ARC). The whole setup works fantastic. All I did to get it to work properly is reformat to 512b.

Reactions: Tim

Tim

Nov 7, 2012
Thanks for the quick response.
There was something earlier in this thread about HP using the same drives?
So they "might" be OK.

Great to hear the success with ZFS, what setup do you use with 8 disks?
Btw, reformating to 512b I guess you loose the data integrity stuff (it needs the extra bytes on the sectors?)
So the best is to format them as per the guide in this threads post no. 224?

tjk

Mar 3, 2013
The problem you are seeing is a controller issue and can only be rectified by using genuine HP drives OR if HP was kind enough to make a newer firmware that allows you to use any drive you want. I don't know much about the controller you're working with though. I doubt these NetApp drives will show any different of a result.

I'm currently using 8 of these drives in a small ZFS with 2 x Intel S3700 200GB SSDs (one for ZIL and one for L2ARC). The whole setup works fantastic. All I did to get it to work properly is reformat to 512b.
What command did you use to reformat these, if you wouldn't mind sharing.

Emulsifide

Dec 1, 2014
Thanks for the quick response.
There was something earlier in this thread about HP using the same drives?
So they "might" be OK.

Great to hear the success with ZFS, what setup do you use with 8 disks?
Btw, reformating to 512b I guess you loose the data integrity stuff (it needs the extra bytes on the sectors?)
So the best is to format them as per the guide in this threads post no. 224?
I haven't read the whole thread (even though I started it!), but these drives definitely have NetApp firmware on them. I'm just running a standard RAIDZ1 with the drives. felmyst's suggestion in post number 224 is spot on.

What command did you use to reformat these, if you wouldn't mind sharing.
Post 224 explains everything.

Reactions: Tim

zeynel

Dream Large, Live Larger
Nov 4, 2015
if anyone else have some for sale , i am in for 24 of them.