sun x4150 server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

legopc

Nov 2, 2014
The Netherlands
i just found what is in my opinion a good deal on a sun x4150 server for 50 euro's shipped. it comes with one e5320 2gb of memory and 1 76gb 10k hdd so i am wondering if i should buy it and i know for some of your 50 euro isnt a whole lot of money but for me it is so would you guys consider 50 euro's a good price for that server? keep in mind if it doesnt have any of the risers or i want to get a second cpu i have to pay atleast 160 dollars for a riser a nd 40 dollars for a cooler

TangoWhiskey9

Jun 28, 2013
I am torn. I don't know how much faster this is than an Atom setup. Just more power and expensive upgrades

Reactions: legopc

legopc

Nov 2, 2014
The Netherlands
I am torn. I don't know how much faster this is than an Atom setup. Just more power and expensive upgrades
the power is not an issue and with atom you mean the new aveton chips right? because as far as i know atoms are not very powerful and this is an entire server for 50 euros and those aveton boards are way more pricey

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
i just found what is in my opinion a good deal on a sun x4150 server for 50 euro's shipped. it comes with one e5320 2gb of memory and 1 76gb 10k hdd so i am wondering if i should buy it and i know for some of your 50 euro isnt a whole lot of money but for me it is so would you guys consider 50 euro's a good price for that server? keep in mind if it doesnt have any of the risers or i want to get a second cpu i have to pay atleast 160 dollars for a riser a nd 40 dollars for a cooler
If you have only 50 euro to spend, and you get your power for free, and you don't mind the noise and heat of a server, then I suppose that it could make sense. In my area, I'd spend around $40 USD per month on electricity to run that server - nearly $500/year - so I'd opt for a lower power machine instead.

andrewbedia

Jan 11, 2013
you need a service contract. it's ridiculously heinous. hp tried to do the same thing and people literally went apeshit (understandably, me included). They kind of half ass enforce this ("By downloading, you agree that you are entitled to this download" blah blah blah).

andrewbedia

Jan 11, 2013
I have a X4100 M2 that I can't find updates for and therefore can't install quad core opterons in it.