Sun ORACLE X3-2L w/ 4x F40 400GB SSDs & 2x E5-2630L ~ $145

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

aij

May 7, 2017
I'm tempted to buy a few of these just for the SSDs, but I so don't need even more servers. Price is listed as $104.99 + $39.99 shipping, and seller auto-rejected my offer of $90 for 2.

The description says it includes a LSI 9261-8i w/ Battery Backup but the photos also show what appears to be an external SAS card.

Are there any gotchas with these Oracle servers? I think it's possible to upgrade them to support Ivy Bridge since I've seen such for sale. I used to run SPARC servers at home, and I remember everything went south for non-enterprise users when Sun got pwned by Oracle, so it may be difficult to get the latest firmware, if nothing else.

30 available, 9 sold and I think I had seen these had a higher price earlier in the week.

I have no relation to seller other than that I have purchased something from them before, long enough ago that I don't remember what it was.

Edit: I can't believe I forgot the link.

Also, link to earlier discussion on the Sun F40 SSDs

Last edited:
Reactions: Samir

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Are there any gotchas with these Oracle servers? I think it's possible to upgrade them to support Ivy Bridge since I've seen such for sale. I used to run SPARC servers at home, and I remember everything went south for non-enterprise users when Sun got pwned by Oracle, so it may be difficult to get the latest firmware, if nothing else.
I think in my research, besides the firmware issue that you mentioned, is that some components need to be oracle or fans stay running or something of that nature. I'm sure someone will firsthand experience will chime in. :)

Reactions: aij

gregsachs

Aug 14, 2018
Looks like caddies are available, Sun Oracle Coral 3.5" Hard Drive HDD Tray Caddy 350-1386 7308501 for Fire Server | eBay
but firmware requires oracle account so likely needs contract.
Rails appear to be here:
By that time you're at $300 or so for a box.

Apr 16, 2018
Offered $99.99 and they accepted. Lets see whats its like.

I have used a few of the sun f series ssds(I have the f20, f40, f320) and have been happy with all of them.

gregsachs

Aug 14, 2018
Seller sent me a private offer of $99 as well. If i could find the caddies/rails at a decent price it would be interesting, but just no need...

ccie4526

Jan 25, 2021
Offered $99.99 and they accepted. Lets see whats its like.

I have used a few of the sun f series ssds(I have the f20, f40, f320) and have been happy with all of them.
Likewise using the F40/F80... have even gone through the reflashing to convert them back to the Nytro WarpDrive firmware, with good results:
SunF80-SeaFW.jpg

Apr 16, 2018
Likewise using the F40/F80... have even gone through the reflashing to convert them back to the Nytro WarpDrive firmware, with good results:
What advantage does the warpdrive firmware give you? It seems to be in jbod only mode by default, but being able to put them all in raid 0 would be nice when the os doesn't support software raid.

ccie4526

Jan 25, 2021
What advantage does the warpdrive firmware give you? It seems to be in jbod only mode by default, but being able to put them all in raid 0 would be nice when the os doesn't support software raid.
Exactly that. The Sun firmware does jbod, and if you try to do any kind of raid, the I/O throughput tanks. There's other threads here on STH that cover it. Switching to the Sea firmware brings the throughput back up, witness above. The ATTO test above is run on a reflashed Sun F80 that I'm using in my primary workstation.

manti

Jan 29, 2021
Is it compatible with v2 CPUs? Got one, tried to put there 2650 v2 - no boot, blinks orange. Maybe needs BIOS update, any knows?