Sun/Oracle PCIe riser pin diagram?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

kakashisensei

Aug 5, 2020
I am using an old sandybridge mobile cpu and mini itx industrial motherboard for an unraid server. It only has one x16 pcie slot. Since its an old motherboard, it does not support bifurcation. I am using a modern asmedia 2824 based pcie switch card so I can run a gpu and an lsi hba off that single slot. But its a tad bit expensive ($150) just to split that pcie slot.

I puchased one of these old sun/oracle pcie risers that have pcie switch chips for a measly $10. Its for sun/oracle x4250 x4270 westmere era xeon servers. Its using an IDT 89HPES24T6G2 pcie switch chip, which is only pcie 2.0. But since my cpu is sandybridge, thats good enough for me.

Problem is when I install this, the system won't boot. The motherboard standby light turns off and even the PSU (with PS_ON bridged connection) turns off. So what I think is going on is circuit protection is being enabled, telling me that the pcie pinout on this is non standard. I saw that supermicro pcie risers also have non-standard pcie pinouts.

I can't find a pin out diagram on anything related to sun/oracle pcie risers. Does anyone happen to know where I can find that, or perhaps if there is some trick to getting to these to work, like taping certain pins. Thanks.