Sun Oracle Flash Accelerator F40 400GB PCIe SSD - $99 + 15 BIN

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

paravirtual

Aug 28, 2016
Does anyone know about how overprovisioning works on these? I picked one up for use as a ZFS SLOG device so I'll only actually need a partition a few gigs in size.

I'm also wondering about where to get a full size pci bracket, but somebody already asked about that.

edit: After doing a bit of research, it looks like Oracle's ddcli util will perform that operation. No idea where to actually get a hold of it and whether or not it will run outside of Oracle's distro, though. I probably need to dig up my oracle account info and log in.

Last edited:

Marsh

May 12, 2013
I just checked with a LSI full height bracket. It will fit the Sun F40 card.
BUT, you will loose the holes for the 3 LED in Sun F40 card.

LSI / Seagate Windows version DDCLI.exe worked with F40 card. I think it allow you to format with OP

rjoancea

Apr 28, 2015
Any thoughts on why I would be seeing only 3 disks @ 93GB per, not 4, upon loading this up in a Win 10 box?

Fresh drivers updated just to make sure...

Edit: Ugh, red status led on the card itself and LSI bios startup is only seeing 3 as well...Guessing I'm unlucky on the draw here with a failed ssd on the card, unless anyone has a brilliant idea otherwise.

Last edited:

czl

May 14, 2016
I had the same problem with two of these cards -- red status lights and missing drives, etc. If you activate the card boot bios you will see some of the ssd's are "security locked" or something like that. To make that go away use ddcli to reformat. After this both my cards passed 2-3 hours of ZFS mirror / scub testing.

Any thoughts on why I would be seeing only 3 disks @ 93GB per, not 4, upon loading this up in a Win 10 box?

Fresh drivers updated just to make sure...

Edit: Ugh, red status led on the card itself and LSI bios startup is only seeing 3 as well...Guessing I'm unlucky on the draw here with a failed ssd on the card, unless anyone has a brilliant idea otherwise.

paravirtual

Aug 28, 2016
LSI / Seagate Windows version DDCLI.exe worked with F40 card. I think it allow you to format with OP
Thanks for this. I got the util package from Seagate's site which included ddcli for all OSs. Ran the utility, formatted everything with the "performance" overprovision option which leaves 79.5GB usable.

http://www.seagate.com/support/soli...rator-cards/nytro-warpdrive-accelerator-card/

Set up 2 of the drives as an SLOG mirror and got 271 fsyncs/s from pveperf. I was getting about 100-120 before. Not good enough! So I set up 2 md stripes with all 4 drives (8k chunk size for the md stripe to match the disks, and ashift=14 for 16k sectors on the slog). Double the fsyncs, nice.

So then I rebooted...and the box didn't come back up. I guess proxmox *really means it* when they say they don't support software RAID. I'm guessing that I probably didn't have the md modules available at boot.

Reactions: vintagehardware

rkrenicki

Feb 2, 2016
Mer.. I wish I had read this thread before I bought two at full price. I would have been quite happy to pay $70 each.

rkrenicki

Feb 2, 2016
Are these cards flashable with the lsi firmware package?
Oracle firmware is not available without a valid support contract

-J
I too have this question. If the LSI firmware was in IR mode.. I would be very interested in "crossflashing" to that, and using RAID0 on the controller level.

Jannis Jacobsen

Mar 19, 2016
Norway
I got the card today.
3 of 4 initialized.
formatted with ddcli to performance, all 4 initialized, created stripeset in windows.
Started copying data, and boom, 1 of 4 missing and stripeset gone.
ddcli also reports 1 missing... :/

-J

Marsh

May 12, 2013
My 2 out of 6 cards behaved badly, 1 card won't ddcli format all 4 ssd correctly. 1 card won't read smart data with 1 ssd.
Send them back for refund, I do not want to deal problems down the road.

Jannis Jacobsen

Mar 19, 2016
Norway
My 2 out of 6 cards behaved badly, 1 card won't ddcli format all 4 ssd correctly. 1 card won't read smart data with 1 ssd.
Send them back for refund, I do not want to deal problems down the road.
Sending it back will probably cost as much as I have paid.
I've sent them a message, and we'll see how it goes

-J

mervincm

Jun 18, 2014
I bought two as well. The first no drives show up at all and makes a bad electrical smell even with a desk fan blowing right into the case. The second, well 3 drives show OK in SMART, one shows 887 failed blocks. I don't think I have a choice but to return them both as DoA.