Sun Oracle F40 400GB PCI-e SSD - 65$

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

svtkobra7

Jan 2, 2017
Looks like this comes with a low profile bracket. Is there a full height bracket (for SC836) that works with this?

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
I have a bunch of full height PCI brackets from a Dell H310 (similar to LSI 9211-8i). They are the dullest PCI brackets in the world, but if you want it to convert these cards to full height bracket, I'll be happy to send them to you for the cost of shipping+handling. I think 1st class USPS is like $3+cost of padded envelope or something like that. Just my way to help out fellow STHers.

I just picked up 2 of these @$60/each, used the $15 off coupon with it.

realtomatoes

Oct 3, 2016
the datasheet says these run up to 25w.
for guys that already own it, you guys noticed how much power it really does consume?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
If you have a E5 V1/ V2 server not a bad deal to add cheap SSDs. A LSI controller + 4x 100GB SSDs will cost much more.

svtkobra7

Jan 2, 2017
I have a bunch of full height PCI brackets from a Dell H310 (similar to LSI 9211-8i). They are the dullest PCI brackets in the world, but if you want it to convert these cards to full height bracket, I'll be happy to send them to you for the cost of shipping+handling. I think 1st class USPS is like $3+cost of padded envelope or something like that. Just my way to help out fellow STHers.

I just picked up 2 of these @$60/each, used the $15 off coupon with it.
Same here (2 @ $60 less $15) ... I'll take you up on that generous offer! (PM Inbound)

I just realized the full height bracket for my LSI 9211-4i in my SC836 doesn't even have any holes for airflow and apparently the F40 generates a bit of heat ... are your brackets perforated (for lack of a better term)?
bracket.jpg

Many thanks! :)

NB: No your eyes aren't playing tricks on you, I have my server vertically wall mounted with the front of the chassis facing the floor.

svtkobra7

Jan 2, 2017
If you have a E5 V1/ V2 server not a bad deal to add cheap SSDs. A LSI controller + 4x 100GB SSDs will cost much more.

these any good for slog or l2arc?
  • I'd love to know the same.
  • If not SLOG, then ESXi datastore, for me?
  • Does it make sense to pass through to FreeNAS and create a new pool? If so, is there any speed pick up with mirroring? Other than boot drives all of mine are HGST Deskstar NAS 6 TB (x 16). Never mirrored SSDs before.

winglerw28

Jun 27, 2017
Hermitage, PA
These drives get reposted here pretty regularly - I have five functional ones, and one non-functional one. The seller refunded me on the non-functional one without even remotely questioning it or asking for it back. Here is a summary of my overall experience with them:
  • These are not 400GB drives, but four 100GB drives on a single PCIe card; you have to use software RAID/ZFS to really get the most out of them
  • Somewhere on one of the previous threads in which these were posted, someone uploaded the CLI tool to manage these and update their firmware with the correct (and most recent) Oracle version
  • Most of the drives I received had very few powered-on hours according to the CLI utility
  • These things run HOT - prepare adequate cooling or you will regret it
  • I offered $60 for each of mine, and the seller accepted every single one of my best offers
All things considered, I don't regret getting the drives - they work very well as long as you aren't expecting to be getting something like a modern PCIe M.2 SSD.

winglerw28

Jun 27, 2017
Hermitage, PA
what's the controller on these?
The Oracle F40s are essentially slightly modified WarpDrive Nytro F40s - the option ROM for configuring them effectively shows that they run on an LSI SAS controller, exposing themselves to the operating system as four separate drives. I don't know if the controller actually has an equivalent standalone product, however.

The WarpDrive firmware allows for using the four individual drives in a RAID0 configuration, but on the Oracle versions of the drives this firmware greatly reduces the performance of the drives.

winglerw28

Jun 27, 2017
Hermitage, PA
has this drive tested using freenas as L2arc drives?
These drives are designed to be used with ZFS (Oracle even has documentation on this), so I would imagine FreeNAS would handle them just fine as long as there are drivers; I personally have used them as L2ARC drives on Linux, for whatever that is worth.