Sun Oracle F40 400GB PCI-e SSD - 65$

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
No, not at all unreasonable. 99% drive health vs 100% is a tremendous indicator for the work that you put in, and later complained about, and are now still defending.
As I said initially, I'm really only complaining generally about over-torqued screws. Those aren't found only on devices like this. I've had my fair share of stripped screws when doing stuff like laptop repair. That was really the only thing that made the process less than enjoyable. I had disassembled a few already no problem and then encountered 2 where the small screws that hold the casing together were like "stuck" in it.

Having experienced this when I re-assembled I didn't overtighten at all in case I need to get into them again later.

fishtacos

Jun 8, 2017
I think I'm just taking issue with your 99% vs. 100% comment. I own 2 of these F40 cards, and 1 of the 4 modules in a single card has indeed gone bad for me, much like several others. What struck me as odd was your switching out a 1 of 4 modules per card in some fashion to arrive at 100% health on all drives, which is impractical and holds no correlation to failure rates per unit, given what we know about these cards, mostly anecdotally through posts here.

Last edited:

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
@frogtech you need to get yourself some Japanese Vessel screwdrivers with the JIS phillips drive heads instead of the typical phillips head. they are designed to not cam out and lessen the chances of stripping the screw head.

Reactions: frogtech

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
@frogtech you need to get yourself some Japanese Vessel screwdrivers with the JIS phillips drive heads instead of the typical phillips head. they are designed to not cam out and lessen the chances of stripping the screw head.
Any links to a suggested set? Usually for me the problem screws are the smaller ones that required really small heads.

I skimmed on amazon a bit just to see what they were all about. Do they only work with specific JIS heads?

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Any links to a suggested set? Usually for me the problem screws are the smaller ones that required really small heads.

I skimmed on amazon a bit just to see what they were all about. Do they only work with specific JIS heads?
JIS screwdrivers will work on American phillips screw heads without problems.

I don't see any P0 or P00, but this set has P1,P2,P3 sizes:

Screwdriver Sets : 900JF/KIT-P123

The Megadora 900 is a good place to start if you're just wanting to try them out. They have other product lines like the 930 series and 980 series, but the 900 is a good start. I have various screwdrivers from all of those product lines and love them all; and I have a pretty large selection of screwdrivers in my tool chests.

For P0 and smaller, there is this set, but I've never used it:

Screwdriver Sets : TD-56

I'm by no means an expert on these tools, so do your own research.

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
BTW, how are you guys using the F40 ? Mine shows up as 4 separate 100GB SSDs. Do you guys just glue them together with software or is there a way to glue them together with the LSI controller?

I was thinking of partitioning each with a 8GB/92GB scheme, 4-way mirror the 8GB for slog, and 4-way stripe the 92GB for L2ARC?