Suitable Xeon D-1500 platform for NAS / Plex / virtualization roles

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Marty Foie Gras

Jan 23, 2017
I want to create a minimally sized home server that can perform that can perform the below roles:
NAS -- was thinking four drive array (Raid 5 or z equivalent) for redundancy purposes
Plex -- single stream, no 4k
VM host -- mostly for homelab type use. Perhaps a couple Windows / Linux machines, no real constant use just some VMs for screwing around with & perhaps a low-load web server or two.

At this point seems the Xeon D and Supermicro X10SDV series is a good option.

X10SDV‑4C‑TLN2F w/ D-1521 -- this would be the lowest power option but I'm a little worried about the passive CPU cooling as I don't think I'll be going with a 1U chassis-cooled case

X10SDV-6C+-TLN4F w/ D-1528 -- 6 cores, more Hz and with active cooling

X10SDV-TLN4F w/ D-1541 -- 8 cores, most Hz and active cooling as well

I'm kind of thinking the 4 core, slightly slower X10SDV-4C-TLN4F option might be enough for me but the 6 core X10SDV-6C+-TLN4F sounds attractive when it comes to more virtualization options not to mention general future proofing.

Also thinking the 8 core X10SDV-TLN4F is most likely overkill for what my use would be but again, future proofing is something I'm thinking about.

I realize I'm not exactly asking a true question here but would like to bounce things off the board to see if anybody with more experience than me has any input!

Thanks!

Last edited: