Suggestions for my first real server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Dragon

Banned
Feb 12, 2013
No, what you said was
"But then again, the $200 4170 HE (brand new) has the same performance as the $45 G550 (brand new), if ECC is required, pay $20 more and you get the faster G2020 with ECC."

I have highlighted the key point.
I didn't change one word, what do you mean by "No"?

You just added the part before what I quoted but somehow you also conveniently ignored the part before that, my complete post was:

Good for you, for me the Opterons only become a problem under high load, when a single chip system draw more than 250w.

But then again, the $200 4170 HE (brand new) has the same performance as the $45 G550 (brand new), if ECC is required, pay $20 more and you get the faster G2020 with ECC.

AMD needs to wake up.
This was clearly a reply from me to GaryM regarding my displease towards AMD's lack of progress on power consumption and cost-performance ratio. The first part I mentioned AMD's high power draw, second part I mentioned Intel's much cheaper alternative, and the third part mentioning my displease towards AMD's current progress.

How about you highlight that as my "key point" instead of seeing only what you want to see.

My only point was to try and find out why you though the G550 didn't. I was genuinely interested as I believed it did but had not tested it personally. I though I made it clear in post #25.
You're just trolling, that "only point" of yours was already answered when I replied Intel's search engine didn't list G550 as having ECC enabled. If that was your only point then the issue would be over right there. But then you kept going with:

If the G550 is cheaper and does the job then why not consider.
This is the 2nd point you made, so which one is your "only point"?

And you know what, the G550 isn't cheaper when you take power consumption into account, even more so if you also take performance into account, and when I pointed that out you started trolling with:

I believe your original point was that you would have to get a G2020 in order to us ECC ram. I believe this is incorrect based on available documentation and user reports.

Now you have moved on to initial costs and power savings which, using your own figures, would mean that you would have to run the G2020 processor for 3 years before levelling the playing field based on purchase price and power costs. An upgrade after 2 years would mean that the G550 worked out cheaper over that working period. You could then go on to start talking about the G2020 having a higher resale value etc...
Now this isn't something you would post, if your "only point" was to question why I believed G550 had no ECC, is it.

This is more like an attempt to divert attention from the part where you didn't take power cost into account.

And you're now accusing me of changing the subject, which is bs, as proven above, my conversation was about my displease towards AMD's power consumption and cost-performance ratio, that had always been my focus, I also tried to correct your derail attempt by mentioning G550 having ECC is still pointless and irrelevant because G2020 is still the better alternative, but no, you didn't want to stop there, you had to invent some "2 years vs 3 years" argument just to keep trolling.

Again, the point is that the G2020 is not the cheapest Intel processor that supports ECC ram. There may be many of good reasons to favor the G2020 over the G550 but that is not one of them.

Also not sure why you are concerned with ripping US$20 out of Intels pocket. I would be more concerned with ripping US$20 out of my own pocket in initial outlay when it may not be required.
Now you have a 3rd point? So which one is the "only point" now? You're now taking the ECC issue way out of context just for the sake of continue trolling.

I never mention G550/G2020 because they were "cheapest Intel processor that supports ECC ram", so why bring it up now? I mentioned G550/G2020 because they have similar performance as the 4170 HE, I actually went through the trouble to double check the G550 numbers on spec.org before posting.

If that was your point, how about post something like "Hey $CPU_NAME is even cheaper and it has ECC", instead of going through all these trouble to put words in people's mouth? That would actually make my point and this pointless discussion would have ended on page 2 where I still had the mood to joke with you about it.

So many words later and you still haven't come up with anything solid against the point that the G2020 does everything the G550 can do, faster, while also matching the performance of the 4170 HE, costing only $60, a cost the $20 cheaper G550 can't match after running for a few years.

G550/G2020 was bought up as an example of AMD not being competitive enough, the ECC was not mentioned as the key point of the post, but as a support of the example. The ECC was compared between G2020 and G550 only because the Intel site didn't list the G550 as having ECC. And G550 having ECC still doesn't change the fact that G2020 is still the better alternative, still doesn't change the fact that AMD is not competitive enough.

You know what, I may have missed the part where G550 supports ECC (and that's because Intel screwed up their search engine and there is a better alternative, the G2020), but you failed to calculate cost beyond comparing price tags. And that is my KEY POINT of this post.

I have already stated that the G2020 may be better and pointed pointed out that it is not the cheapest option if you want ECC support. I have no idea why you are so passionate about this or why you seem to feel it is a personal vendetta against you.

If I had said something that was incorrect then I would rather someone picked up on it and then I can learn something new. I certainly would not take it as a personal attack unless it was clearly done in a nasty way.

If you wish to continue along this road then fine, personally I would rather hear more about Korbans build and have no wish to see this thread derailed anymore than it already is.
This is not me being passionate, this is me being pissed off at being trolled by someone who doesn't read what's actually being posted and doesn't calculate beyond initial cost.

Last edited:

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
So i finally bought a unit from PDNEIMAN on ebay.

Now only the long wait remains :)

Thanks for all the help guys!
I think one of my units may be chasing yours out the door. Mine was picked up from Peter yesterday as well :D.

Currently sitting at TX airport.

Now I just have to wait for my other one to be collected from a different seller (they had other items I also wanted so I could bundle for the shipping).

RB

Dragon

Banned
Feb 12, 2013
Seriously not interested.

I have repeatedly made my point clearly and reasonably.

You don't agree then go make you own thread about it and stop derailing this one please.

RB
Look who is talking.

Out of the respect I have for this place and its members I will stop here, but this is not over.

Biren78

Jan 16, 2013
I think one of my units may be chasing yours out the door. Mine was picked up from Peter yesterday as well :D.

Currently sitting at TX airport.

Now I just have to wait for my other one to be collected from a different seller (they had other items I also wanted so I could bundle for the shipping).

RB
Excited to see what you and legen do with these.

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
I do have a separate thread on my plans but they tend to be changeable :).

I am considering one of the Rackable Systems chassis which I can then add the Intel expander (from Nitrobass24) and the Supermicro JBOD power board to have a decent DAS and can get rid of my horrid Norco chassis.

Should be good fun. Looking forward to playing around with ZFS.

RB