Suggestions for best 1080 TI for ML

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
IT's been a few months, ok maybe a year since I've looked into this, and discussed with @Patrick briefly based on his frontpage articles...

I currently have an EVGA Founders card, and want to purchase a couple more 1080 TI for ML.

These are going in SUperMicro 4U chassis, so 'top power' is acceptable.

Should I stick with Founders Edition cards for the improved blower\configuration?

Any specific Brand to avoid?

I'm planning on running 2 cards per-chassis total, so would a 3-fan version work too or smart to avoid these in sealed\one way air server chassis? I never considered them before, but maybe they're OK ?

If anyone has any they're selling\trading too feel free to message me.

Thanks

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Which chassis are you using? How many per?
I'll have to digup the part #... it's SuperMicro 4U \ similar to CSE-743TQ but with GPU power.

Only want to run 2x GPU in the chassis.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I'll have to digup the part #... it's SuperMicro 4U \ similar to CSE-743TQ but with GPU power.
Probably a version of the 745 chassis :D

I would use the founders edition or other cards where the heatsink fins are aligned with the airflow so that the chassis AND the gpu fans can provide cooling.

Reactions: T_Minus

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
As far as I'm aware the Founders cards should be physically identical, and will perform very close to each other.

I have MSI, EVGA, Gigabyte etc. and there's absolutely no way I've found to tell them apart except for the serial numbers.
There might be a way using GPU-Z, or some sort of Vendor ID codes, but I haven't worked that out yet.

I've run up to 7 x next to each other in a Rosewill 4U chassis with good cooling in a data center with low ambient temps and they worked fine and stayed at decent temps even working hard :D

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
As far as I'm aware the Founders cards should be physically identical, and will perform very close to each other.

I have MSI, EVGA, Gigabyte etc. and there's absolutely no way I've found to tell them apart except for the serial numbers.
There might be a way using GPU-Z, or some sort of Vendor ID codes, but I haven't worked that out yet.

I've run up to 7 x next to each other in a Rosewill 4U chassis with good cooling in a data center with low ambient temps and they worked fine and stayed at decent temps even working hard :D
Awesome! Good to know.

I have one of those chassis too may have to use it ;) These GPU chassis are hard to come by used :D for a deal.

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
Buying a ton of 1080ti's, I found the EVGA cards to be slightly better than other brands. I particularly like their water cooled cards, but I doubt those will play well with your rackmount chassis.

For your application, blower fans are a big plus over triple fan arrangements.

Reactions: T_Minus

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
I'm actually thinking of selling 6 of mine if anyone's interested :D

I'd consider swaps for larger NVME or SSD drives, or 16G/32G DDR3/4 ram sticks, because I need some of those for my lab systems.

I'll put up a for sale post soon

Reactions: T_Minus and Monoman

StevenDTX

Aug 17, 2016

I'd consider swaps for larger NVME or SSD drives, or 16G/32G DDR3/4 ram sticks, because I need some of those for my lab systems.

I may be interested in one.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015

PM me when you're ready, I may have RAM and Large NVME :D available :D

Reactions: Monoman

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
Why not 2080ti? They have much improved machine learning capabilities over the 10xx series
For 2080ti, blower fan models are few and far between, and the cost is dramatically higher. A used 1080ti is around $550, even for closed loop water cooled ones, which are nice as they're super easy to keep cool.

But yes, the tensor cores are a big improvement, so if cost and cooling are not major concerns, the 2080ti is the better card.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
For 2080ti, blower fan models are few and far between, and the cost is dramatically higher. A used 1080ti is around $550, even for closed loop water cooled ones, which are nice as they're super easy to keep cool.

But yes, the tensor cores are a big improvement, so if cost and cooling are not major concerns, the 2080ti is the better card.
This.

In addition there’s a lot of speculation they will drop price a good bit here soon. I’ve seen them already drop in the last week on some sales.

vv111y

May 6, 2011
Niagara Falls, Canada
I would have liked to get 1080ti's as they are in my budget and I don't need the absolute fastest. But the problem is the RAM. The 2080ti's can work with fp16 effectively doubling to 22gb RAM. That's the bigger bottleneck.

I hope you're right @T_Minus, they are expensive

fwiw I am looking at Zotac blowers since they will be packed in 4U case
Zotac - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB Blower Video Card (ZT-T20810A-10P) - PCPartPicker

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
I was able to get antoher 1080 TI Founders, and almost another for $400!! Those Super releases helped drop price at least some :)
Thanks to @Patrick and @William article here I also ordered a 2060 Super :) to try out.

The next couple months we'll see how they all work :)

Reactions: William