Suggestions for 2.5 in SAS backplanes for DIY re-use?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Mithril

Sep 13, 2019
Hey all, feel free to point me to any threads I've missed.

I'm looking for a DIY friendly SAS backplane for 8+ 2.5 sas and sata drives.
Sas2/SATA3 speeds minimum.
Sas3 and port expanders are a plus.
So long as the pinouts for power etc are known, and the connectors are not unobtanium I'd consider it workable.
I'm fine with either SAS 2 or 3 standard connections (I have cables for both).
"Add power and a sas controller to make it work" is not a hard requrement, but I'd rather not have to fiddle with an arduino tricking it into working.

Don't have a brand preference, I'll be making my own mounting for the board and drives.

I'm aware theres a TON of them on ebay, but rather that looking up each model number to see if they work without shenanigans, what the pinout for power is, etc just seems to be sending me down rabbit holes :)

Mithril

Sep 13, 2019
Last edited:

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
Check for an 8port Supermicro BPN-SAS2-213EL1 or Supermicro M28SACB 8-bay cages etc. Supermicro has lots of 8bay/port 'things' for 2.5' drives

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
Out of at least a dozen of different HP backplanes I reused over the years (G4 through Gen10) none required anything other than the proper power pinout - they just worked.

Mithril

Sep 13, 2019
Check for an 8port Supermicro BPN-SAS2-213EL1 or Supermicro M28SACB 8-bay cages etc. Supermicro has lots of 8bay/port 'things' for 2.5' drives
Do they just need SAS + power? and are the pinouts and connectors easy to find?

Mithril

Sep 13, 2019
Out of at least a dozen of different HP backplanes I reused over the years (G4 through Gen10) none required anything other than the proper power pinout - they just worked.
I have one should be the right connector for a Gen9 on its way, it may not end up fitting nicely where I want it but it's a good way to test my thinking

bitbckt

will google compiler errors for scotch
Feb 22, 2022
There is nothing special required to power or interface with a Supermicro backplane. They use standard four-pin Molex from a ATX PSU for power and whichever standard SAS/SATA connector applies for the style and generation of backplane (A, TQ, or EL; SAS2 or 3).

I have three 16 bay backplanes in A and TQ flavors. If you’re interested, I’d sell you one. Just send a PM.

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
Do they just need SAS + power? and are the pinouts and connectors easy to find?
As @bitbckt already pointed out, usually 4pin Molex only.

Supermicro_BPN-SAS2-213EL1.png
Supermicro BPN-SAS2-213EL1 ... the 8port version looks pretty similar, just 8ports only.

Supermicro CSE-M28SACB.png
Supermicro CSE-M28SACB