Suggestion - Standard Web Server Benchmark Open Source

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
Looking for a suggestion. If not - do we have smart people here for this?

I want a web server benchmark app. Want to see LAMP or LNMP setup at work. Problem with many server benches today are that they use some basic PHP file to test. I did the google on apache bench ab setup and they seem to all use a simple php file. I think that's how pts/nginx works 2.

Let's give an example. Patrick's architecture I read has l5520 single/ dual and dual l5620. What is faster for running wordpress or vbulletin? How does that compare to the asus z9na-d6 test configuration with current e5-2430l?

Anyone know of something like this? Or maybe we need a test data set and just use ab.

What if we had three components:
script to download/ install (as needed) a common data set
a jmeter saved test that you can point to the server and bench against
a forum on here to report results as v1 then v2 sth hosts a results library

Too much to ask? Can this get done?

+1 if this is a VM that we can just download and run.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I would be open to hosting/ sponsoring this. I wonder what it would take to "sanitize" STH at this point.

My real question is whether there is a need. I do like the JMeter concept as that has some great plugins.

Real question is whether there is interest in this sort of thing. If so, I do want to add more tools to the site.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Just looked at this. Current total is around 2GB of files all compressed so fairly large download. The plus side is that it would fit on about anything.

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
Needs to be sub 1GB. Can you host that? Will cost a lot. Maybe not under new hosting. If you go back to Amazon it's $0.12 per download.

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
What files are 2GB? A full install, just the website files, or etc.?

I think it could be simple to write a setup script to run on a current linux install that installs needed components and wgets a wordpress install. Or roll our own image from a minimal linux install and just needed components. Something like Core might be a good starting point at 8MB.

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
2GB is full database + logs + media not including OS.