Suggestion on New Virtualization Hardware

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Puppetfreek

Nov 17, 2014
Hello,

I'm considering to upgrade (and consolidate) my two Dell C6100 to something more energy efficient and silent (WAF). I'm considering going the DYI route - but please let me know if you have any other recommendations that you can (easily) make silent (enough). I'm thinking of using some cheap 4U (any recommendations?) that I can have a couple of SSDs and a few 3,5" drives, and preferably supports ATX PSU. I'm considering reusing a Norco RCP-4020 that I already have, but don't really use. I have plenty of space in the rack, so number of U are not really of any concern.

Current hardware:
As mentioned above, I have 2 C6100 with 4 nodes each. Each of the nodes have: 2xL5639 with 48GB ram. I don't think I need that amount of capacity to start with as I'm not really utilizing everything today (but that might change in the distant future).

Considerations:
* CPU - Found this E5-2696v3 CPU (Intel CPU Xeon E5-2696 v3 OEM =E5-2699 v3 LGA2011-3 18C X99 Compatible i7-5960X | eBay). Looking at the revision (M0) this indeed seems to the retail (OEM) version of the CPU (List of Intel Xeon microprocessors - Wikipedia). Considering running two of them in pair. Anything special that I need to consider as this is an OEM CPU?
Mobo: Liked Supermicro so far, so something from the X10DR-line. Don't need 10GbE, but considering if I should go with the 24 memory stick version instead so I can upgrade ram later down the road / populate with cheaper sticks.
* Cooler - Noctua NH-U12Dx i4.
* Memory - Not decided yet, but would require around 256GB

This is a homelab, so no redundancy is really required. Is there used enterprise servers out there cheaper, that can be made silent / gutted easily?

Thanks!