Suggestion: Front Page Updates

Discussion in 'STH Suggestions and Updates' started by capn_pineapple, Feb 16, 2015.

1. capn_pineapple

capn_pineapple Active Member

Patrick, could you throw together a script or something to clear the cache on the front page every time you put an article up please?

Every time there is a new article, I am alerted to it on G+ or TapaTalk (on my phone), but when I go to the front page it's never there and I am sad.

2. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

This is really strange. Just so you are aware, I have actually been hitting publish, then manually purging varnish, then validating on three different machines for the past few weeks. I am fairly confident that there is something else going on at this point.

Have others been seeing this issue?

3. badskater

badskater Active Member

I have seen the issue as well. On my mobile phone, no problems, but on my desktop, or work laptop, I do have that problem as well.

4. TangoWhiskey9

TangoWhiskey9 Active Member

I haven't been as active on the forums recently, but the front page is updating for me by the time I get notifications.

5. capn_pineapple

capn_pineapple Active Member

WOO! someone else is as crazy as me!!

Is it not just the varnish cache but the inbuilt cache for the CMS

6. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

Will give it a shot. PITA wordpress!

7. badskater

badskater Active Member

Still not updating here. Phone and Tablet are fine, just laptop and desktop as said before that haven't updated.

8. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

Interestingly enough, I had a brand new and my old laptop today. I purposefully did not go to STH on the new machine and used a new browser to visit every post.

Both sets of machines though were displaying the new page. Still trying to figure out this behavior.

9. badskater

badskater Active Member

I'm trying to understand varnish, so I can't help there... I'm not used to cache servers, so I don't understand the underlying technology there.

Here's what I see on laptop and desktop, while on phone and tablet, I do see the 3 Xeon D articles.

[​IMG]

10. Biren78

Biren78 Active Member

You're also using browser add-ins not a stock browser. Easy way to tell is that the ads are not displayed. I've found that screws with some websites enough I turned mine off.

If your laptop and desktop are both using similar add-ins but your phone and tablet are not, then it might be those add-ins causing your issue.

Working fine for me BTW + I support the site since the ads here are like 1/10th of standard.

11. badskater

badskater Active Member

Adblock Plus is disabled on STH for that reason. It doesn't have much which is fine, will check the config of the Adblock for it, but it isn't supposed to work on the site.