Suggestion for mining setup

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

maxermaxer

Oct 28, 2016
Hello all! I would like to get some advice here on what's the best setup to mine under my current situation. There are following watercooled PC/servers that can be used for mining while they are not at work.

1) PC 1: i7-6700K + 2X GTX 1080Ti + 1X GTX 1070- watercooled
2) Server 1: Dual E5 2699 v3 + 4X GTX 1070 - watercooled
3) Server 2: Dual E5 2683 v3 + 1X GTX 1050- watercooled
4) Server 3: Single E5-2996 V4+ basic GPU not good for mining- CPU watercooled with AIO
5) Server 4: Single E5-2996 V4+ basic GPU not good for mining- CPU watercooled with AIO
6) A spare Supermicro X10-Dri-T motherboard that I can install two Xeon CPUs on it.

The cost for electricity here is like this. It starts from becomes more expensive if you use more.
1st 400KW -- US$ 0.11 per KW/H
Next 600KW -- US$ 0.13 per KW/H
Next 800KW -- US$ 0.15 per KW/H
Next 800KW -- US$ 0.19 per KW/H
Next 800KW -- US$ 0.22 per KW/H
Next 800KW -- US$ 0.2284 per KW/H
Over 4200KW -- US$ 0.2299 per KW/H

I want to be able to quickly switch to other purpose when I need to use them for work. When i am not working I would like to maximize the capability to mine. There are a few questions I would like to get your advice:

1) Which type of cryptocurrency is best to mine given my current situation? I don't mind keep some of them running 7/24 if there is profit
2) Should I install XMR-Stak-CPU or Wolf for mining? I saw from previous post that XMR is good for single machine and Wolf is good for larger scale? But in my case can I count mine "medium scale"? Which one is better?

Marsh

May 12, 2013
You have a lot of nice fast servers .

CPU XMR mining still profitable. You have some nice highend CPU to do that.

Also, you could dual mining with the same rig, I use E5-2683v3 to mine XMR using xmr-stak-cpu miner ,
the 2 GPU AMD RX-480 inside the same rig to mine Zcash with zecminer64.

Best of both worlds (CPU and GPU) , since you will need a CPU to host OS for the GPU mining rig anyway.

maxermaxer

Oct 28, 2016

Also, you could dual mining with the same rig, I use E5-2683v3 to mine XMR using xmr-stak-cpu miner ,

Best of both worlds (CPU and GPU) , since you will need a CPU to host OS for the GPU mining rig anyway.
Do you recommend Bitcoin at this time? Why do you recommend zCash instead of Bitcoin?

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
Windows 10. The CPUs are watercooled with AIO and the 1050 is air-cooled with stock fans.
An easy way in for windows is Nicehash, it will mine on CPU and GPU and pay out in BTC. XMR should be good on the CPUs. ETH or ZCash on the 1070s and 1050. 1080Ti is going to do better with zcash. Your power is cheap, you should be able to make a good return if we don't have a bubble pop.

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
Do you recommend Bitcoin at this time? Why do you recommend zCash instead of Bitcoin?
Mining BTC itself is almost unprofitable with ASICs. GPUs and CPUs are not going to have enough hashing power to make any money. Mining Altcoins to keep or exchange to BTC is how anyone is making a profit now.

maxermaxer

Oct 28, 2016
Very useful suggestions cactus! Thank you!
By the way, does Nicehash mine altcoins and convert them to BTC automatically?

modder man

Jan 19, 2015
Very useful suggestions cactus! Thank you!
By the way, does Nicehash mine altcoins and convert them to BTC automatically?
Yes nicehash auto converts to BTC. If you want something that is simple to setup nicehash would be near the top of that list.

maxermaxer

Oct 28, 2016

Hi Marsh, can you please show me your config file on how to make two E5-2686v3 CPU mine? In my XMR portal my hash power is just 5XX H/s which are just the power of one CPU. It seems I can't get two CPU running ...

Marsh

May 12, 2013
For dual or single E5-2683 v3 , do "lscpu" to verify CPU # thread assignment.
xmr-stak-cpu with Ubuntu 16.0.4

Config.txt

Code:
"cpu_thread_num" : 34,

"cpu_threads_conf" : [

{ "low_power_mode" : false, "no_prefetch" : true, "affine_to_cpu" : 0 },

{ "low_power_mode" : false, "no_prefetch" : true, "affine_to_cpu" : 1 },

{ "low_power_mode" : false, "no_prefetch" : true, "affine_to_cpu" : 2 },

{ "low_power_mode" : false, "no_prefetch" : true, "affine_to_cpu" : 3 },

{ "low_power_mode" : false, "no_prefetch" : true, "affine_to_cpu" : 4 },

{ "low_power_mode" : false, "no_prefetch" : true, "affine_to_cpu" : 5 },

{ "low_power_mode" : false, "no_prefetch" : true, "affine_to_cpu" : 6 },

{ "low_power_mode" : false, "no_prefetch" : true, "affine_to_cpu" : 7 },

{ "low_power_mode" : false, "no_prefetch" : true, "affine_to_cpu" : 8 },

{ "low_power_mode" : false, "no_prefetch" : true, "affine_to_cpu" : 9 },

{ "low_power_mode" : false, "no_prefetch" : true, "affine_to_cpu" : 10},

{ "low_power_mode" : false, "no_prefetch" : true, "affine_to_cpu" : 11},

{ "low_power_mode" : false, "no_prefetch" : true, "affine_to_cpu" : 12},

{ "low_power_mode" : false, "no_prefetch" : true, "affine_to_cpu" : 13},

{ "low_power_mode" : false, "no_prefetch" : true, "affine_to_cpu" : 14},

{ "low_power_mode" : false, "no_prefetch" : true, "affine_to_cpu" : 15},

{ "low_power_mode" : false, "no_prefetch" : true, "affine_to_cpu" : 16},

{ "low_power_mode" : false, "no_prefetch" : true, "affine_to_cpu" : 17},

{ "low_power_mode" : false, "no_prefetch" : true, "affine_to_cpu" : 18},

{ "low_power_mode" : false, "no_prefetch" : true, "affine_to_cpu" : 19},

{ "low_power_mode" : false, "no_prefetch" : true, "affine_to_cpu" : 20},

{ "low_power_mode" : false, "no_prefetch" : true, "affine_to_cpu" : 21},

{ "low_power_mode" : false, "no_prefetch" : true, "affine_to_cpu" : 22},

{ "low_power_mode" : false, "no_prefetch" : true, "affine_to_cpu" : 23},

{ "low_power_mode" : false, "no_prefetch" : true, "affine_to_cpu" : 24},

{ "low_power_mode" : false, "no_prefetch" : true, "affine_to_cpu" : 25},

{ "low_power_mode" : false, "no_prefetch" : true, "affine_to_cpu" : 27},

{ "low_power_mode" : false, "no_prefetch" : true, "affine_to_cpu" : 28},

{ "low_power_mode" : false, "no_prefetch" : true, "affine_to_cpu" : 29},

{ "low_power_mode" : false, "no_prefetch" : true, "affine_to_cpu" : 30},

{ "low_power_mode" : false, "no_prefetch" : true, "affine_to_cpu" : 31},

{ "low_power_mode" : false, "no_prefetch" : true, "affine_to_cpu" : 32},

{ "low_power_mode" : false, "no_prefetch" : true, "affine_to_cpu" : 33},

{ "low_power_mode" : false, "no_prefetch" : true, "affine_to_cpu" : 34},

],
/etc/sysctl.conf
# added
vm.nr_hugepages = 40

# /etc/security/limits.conf
# Add these two lines
* soft memlock 626688
* hard memlock 626688