Successfully flashed to IT, now stuck after Drives detected (won't boot to other media)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Shane Lewis

Dec 3, 2014
After having successfully flashed my 9220-8i to version 15 firmware, it all seems to come up normal and detects all my drives, but then it just sits there doing nothing. I need it to continue on and boot to USB. Is this because I'm using version 15 firmware and that was corrected later on?

Same story drives connected or disconnected, though disconnected I can at least get intot he config utility, though no options in there seem to help.

See screenshot, thanks for the help!

Attachments

HellDiverUK

Jul 16, 2014
If you're getting that screen, then you haven't flashed to IT mode. Mine is in IT mode and I get no BIOS screen at all, ever.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
You can still have the BIOS loaded in IT mode. Or you can load it with no BIOS. Both ways work. You can still get to this screen in IT mode if you loaded the BIOS.

Shane Lewis

Dec 3, 2014
Yeah I believe this is the "ROM Option" by using the -b switch.... you can opt to not have it I think.... but...I'm still stuck here. Thinking I might try and go up to P20, as I'm on P15 now... Hope that will work, or I guess I can try IR mode and see if that happens to work different. Any ideas on how to get around this? Curiously the same card in another PC at this point produces a red and white checkerboard pattern (Though instead of boxes they are triangles) ...and gets stuck at about the same place. Going to up to P20 this AM and see what happens.

Shane Lewis

Dec 3, 2014
Also, the first line in the screenshot shows SAS2008-IT, so I'm pretty confident it's in IT Mode

Shane Lewis

Dec 3, 2014
@HellDiverUK , On that note, maybe that's an answer in itself..... maybe not having the BIOS screen at all, prevents it from getting stuck there? I'll try with P20 and with and without the BIOS and see if that works. Thanks

Shane Lewis

Dec 3, 2014
so moving to P20 (with BIOS enabled) does the some thing. Can anyone verify that doing this requires a UEFI enabled system? This problem does not present in my other server that supports UEFI.... Going to try next without the BIOS and then I guess I need a new mobo/proc/ram

HellDiverUK

Jul 16, 2014
Mine's on P20, obviously without the BIOS, and it works OK on UEFI and non-UEFI machines. I had to flash it on an older machine (Dell Optiplex 760 Core2Duo), as the UEFI flashing tools wouldn't work on my modern Asus boards.

Shane Lewis

Dec 3, 2014
SUCCESS Finally.... @HellDiverUK, thanks for the tip. That was the trick. I flashed the card again in IT mode, but without the optional ROM. That was, for whatever reason causing the boot sequence to hang.... now without the ROM options altogether, it just boot right up on my AMD non-UEFI board. Note that the ROM option worked on the UEFI machine.

So recap:
P15 IT Mode with ROM, on NON-UEFI =HANG
P20 IT Mode with ROM, on NON-UEFI =HANG
P20 IT Mode NO ROM, on NON-UEFI =Boots Successfully

so when flashing, choose to not install the optional ROM.... you get no indication of what drives you have connected or don't at boot.... but hey it works.
Thanks to all for the help.

Reactions: HellDiverUK

J-san

Nov 27, 2014
Vancouver, BC
Just a heads up, I've had issues with P20 IT Mode firmware with my 9211-8i HBA cards throwing Transport errors, and Hard errors with iostat -En in OmniOS (solaris), which caused me to downgrade to P19 firmware. I've seen posts by Freebsd as well that they've had cam control errors with P20 firmware.

Just a heads up, not sure what OS you're using. I might have read somewhere that Windows didn't have problems in P20.

Burksdb

Oct 23, 2014
running p19 with rom and i have used the card on both a uefi and non uefi without any issues.

amarshonarbangla

Jan 12, 2016
SUCCESS Finally.... @HellDiverUK, thanks for the tip. That was the trick. I flashed the card again in IT mode, but without the optional ROM. That was, for whatever reason causing the boot sequence to hang.... now without the ROM options altogether, it just boot right up on my AMD non-UEFI board. Note that the ROM option worked on the UEFI machine.

So recap:
P15 IT Mode with ROM, on NON-UEFI =HANG
P20 IT Mode with ROM, on NON-UEFI =HANG
P20 IT Mode NO ROM, on NON-UEFI =Boots Successfully

so when flashing, choose to not install the optional ROM.... you get no indication of what drives you have connected or don't at boot.... but hey it works.
Thanks to all for the help.
Sorry for bringing up an old thread but I am facing the same problem. How did you solve the issue exactly? How do I flash with "No ROM" option?

Following are my specs:

i7 920
12GB RAM
Gigabyte EX58-UD4P
GTX 760
Samsung 850 Pro OS drive running in AHCI mode

TCCalv

May 29, 2017
Apologies for posting on an old thread but I just wanted today thanks for the suggestion of flashing without the ROM.

I've had the exact same issue with a SAS2008 not booting in an old non UEFI motherboard for weeks. I tried 4 or 5 different firmwares with no luck.

I reflashed minus the ROM and this now up and running.