Subnet manager available for ESXi :-).

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
Hi all,

For those who may not have come across it, there is now a working subnet manager available for ESXi.

A group of people have compiled OpenSM to work with ESXi 5.1 and I now have it up and running. Looking good so far.

Details are available here. The site is French but google translate works very well.

An update to what is listed on that site...

Only the Mellanox ESXi 5.1 package is needed and the OpenSM vib from the site above.

Install both and reboot. A reboot is required even if just installing OpenSM I have found.

A big thanks goes out to one of my customers who originally found the link.

RB

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Hi all,

For those who may not have come accross it, there is now a working subnet manager available for ESXi.

A group of people have compiled OpenSM to work with ESXi 5.1 and I now have it up and running. Looking good so far.

Details are available here. The site is French but google translate works very well.

An update to what is listed on that site...

Only the Mellanox ESXi 5.1 package is needed and the OpenSM vib from the site above.

Install both and reboot. A reboot is required even if just installing OpenSM I have found.

A big thanks goes out to one of my customers who originally found the link.

RB
Asking a dumb question here: the above runs on the Hypervisor level correct? So you get subnet manager once you install ESXi + SM package?

hypervisor

Sep 13, 2013
Hi, i'm the one who compile the package so i can tell you that you don't need reboot.
It's a vib for ESXi so obviously, you need it to run the sm.
Let me know if you got any problem with it, i'd be happy to help ;)

Last edited:

jtreble

Apr 16, 2013
Ottawa, Canada
Hi, i'm the one who compile the package so i can tell you that you don't need reboot.
Merci Nitro - the ESXi/NexentaStor/Infiniband/OpenSM configuration was very interesting. I wasn't aware that anyone had succeeded in doing this. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
Thanks for the time and effort taken with this. I no longer need to run a Linux machine just to supply the subnet manager. Fantastic work.

Whilst the vib installed fine and the subnet manager reported it was running fine, my Solaris SRP targets failed to mount until after a reboot.

Asking a dumb question here: the above runs on the Hypervisor level correct? So you get subnet manager once you install ESXi + SM package?
Yep the SM runs at an ESXi level allowing using Infiniband for SAN / NAS storage to the ESXi server which can then be used to store VMs, VM disks (VMDK) or as RDP mappings. With a decent storage server and Infiniband you can potentially mount more disks and if they are SAS or SSD then you could possibly get much faster speeds than local disks due to slots available on the ESXi server chassis.

RB

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
I hear that this subnet manager does not work on ESXi 5.5. Is that the case and if so will you be working on a recompile for 5.5 ?

Thanks
RB

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
I hear that this subnet manager does not work on ESXi 5.5. Is that the case and if so will you be working on a recompile for 5.5 ?

Thanks
RB
Gotta +1. I'd hope it isn't too hard to port the work to ESXi 5.5.

Fairlight

Oct 9, 2013
Pretty sure this has been done now this week with version 3.3.16-64 and you can simply update the existing driver without entering maintenance mode.