Stuck durning flashing H310 into IT mode ;(

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gustav

May 17, 2017
Poznań, Polska
Hi guys

I had Dell H310 controller with PowerEdge IR firmware (bios with Ctrl+R option at boot).

Followed this guide (it should end with P20 firmware, compressed package is from 2016):
Updated: SAS HBA crossflashing or flashing to IT mode, Dell Perc H200 and H310

Steps
H310 DOS
:
  • megacli.exe -AdpAllInfo -aAll -page 20 Write down SAS address.
  • megarec.exe -writesbr 0 sbrempty.bin If this fails move on to next step.
  • megarec.exe -cleanflash 0 Reboot.
  • sas2flsh.exe -o -f 6GBPSAS.fw Reboot.
  • sas2flsh.exe -o -f 2118it.bin
    • or sas2flsh.exe -0 -f 2118p7.bin, reboot, then s2fp19.exe -o -f 2118it.bin
  • s2fp19.exe -o -sasadd 500xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wiping using megarec -writesbr was successfull, but after reboot when i type sas2flsh.exe -o -f 6GBPSAS.fw (tested under bios on old Asus P35 mobo and uefi from MSI B250) i have same error:

"Chip is in RESET state. Attempting Host Boot...
ERROR: Firmware Host Boot Failed!

Due to error remaining commands will not be executed.
Unable to Process Commands.
Exiting SAS2Flash."

I would be very thankfull if someone would help me. I did some pictures durning whole process:

1-revision-a01.jpg 2-wipe-ok.jpg 3-error.jpg

Last edited:

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Where did you get the firmware files from? Sounds like it may be a bad file copy. I suggest re-downloading them, I think Matt gives a link to a zip file with all necessary files in it on his site. Once you have the new firmware on there, then upgrade if you wish :)

Reactions: gustav

gustav

May 17, 2017
Poznań, Polska
Hey mate!

Im using package from Mr. Matt (if its same guy who wrote this Updated: SAS HBA crossflashing or flashing to IT mode, Dell Perc H200 and H310).

I can repeat 'megarec.exe -writesbr 0 sbrempty.bin' and it shows 'success'.

If i type 'sas2flsh -c 0 -list', my adapter is listed as:

'Adapter Selected is a LSI SAS: SAS2008(??)' and it says that firmware download is required, but when i type '6GBPSAS.fw' or '2118p7.bin' i get same Error message as before :(

Last edited:

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Try again with these files. I used these a couple of months ago to do an H310 :)
Also I don't remember doing all those reboots, I think I only rebooted once after clearing the card in DOS then used an efi shell to do the actual flashing.

Reactions: gustav

gustav

May 17, 2017
Poznań, Polska
Hey pricklypunter

Thanks to your valuable input we managed to solve this problem, everything works! :). While your files didnt helped, your 'clearing' sentence made me try that second command we should use only if first failed (i had 'megarec.exe -writesbr 0 sbrempty.bin' success as showed on photo).

Anyway, after typing 'megarec.exe -cleanflash 0' and rebooting, everything started to work!. My controller is now back in proper pc and works great!. I will save your files for future. Thanks!

p.s some additional value to this case - second motherboard i tested on, had only one long pcie slot, and because if it i finally have pcie x1 graphics card (gf6200) i allways wanted ;)

Attachments

Reactions: pricklypunter

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
A while back I put a flash drive with all the necessary files and the printed instructions in a Ziplock baggy and put it on the shelf. This was after struggling to flash several of these and having to dig up the files and instructions each time.

AlbertB

May 19, 2019
Try again with these files. I used these a couple of months ago to do an H310 :)
Also I don't remember doing all those reboots, I think I only rebooted once after clearing the card in DOS then used an efi shell to do the actual flashing.

Hi There could i please get a copy of the files that were posted here

The link is no longer valid

Thanks

Albert

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
You can get the files from here, but I would definitely recommend going to Matt's blog about it and reading through the post to get an understanding of exactly the steps you need to take and what commands you need to use etc :)

Mattias71

Aug 20, 2020
This is how i got it working in DOS only mode.

megacli.exe -AdpAllInfo -aAll -page 20
megacli.exe -AdpAllInfo -aAll | find “SAS Address”
megacli.exe -AdpAllInfo -aAll | find “SAS Address” > SASADD.txt

megarec -writesbr 0 sbrempty.bin
megarec -cleanflash 0

reboot

s2fp19.exe -o -f 6GBPSAS.FW
s2fp19.exe -o -sasadd 5xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

reboot

sas2flsh.exe -o -f 2118p7.bin

reboot

s2fp19.exe -o -f 2118it.bin

s2fp19.exe -o -b mptsas2.rom (even after if you want bios on card)