Strong Suggestion: OpenSUSE Linux-Bench

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
@Patrick @Chuckleb @Patriot and others - I just started playing with: Welcome – SUSE Studio

It seems absolutely perfect for Linux-Bench.

You can make a custom bootable ISO including installing from repos. You can upload files directly to the image. You can then have it run scripts (aka Linux-Bench) at startup.

That would make the process ridiculously simple. Boot on the ISO and let it rip. You can also make disk images (VMware, Xen, Hyper-V, KVM), USB stick images, and preload ISOs.

Here's what I'd suggest:
  • Make a standard custom OpenSUSE LiveCD ISO image
  • On the startup script have it run Linux-Bench
I think the only real thing that would need to happen to make this work is to covert all of the dependencies to YaST. There is a GUI to guide you though it.

To make it even easier I even found an OpenSUSE benchmark repo: Index of /repositories/benchmark/openSUSE_13.2

That might have even more of what you might want to add.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
I use it to build custom systems in hyper-v all the time it's fantastic I think i've even suggested others here use it!
(hell maybe we could make an offical STH server distro even XD)

Reactions: Patrick

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
You can do kickstart files with CentOS and Ubuntu as well... I would think the better approach is doing containers with docker personally... Which @Chuckleb has already been working on.

Perhaps you can play with it a bit more and join the dev team. @Jeggs101

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
Wow! I just started playing with the OpenSUSE studio.

@Deslok think you might be able to help with the package installation part?

Created a new script since I am guessing if we make an appliance version we can pull out a lot of detection/ downloading.
linux-bench/linux-bench-suse.sh at master · STH-Dev/linux-bench · GitHub

We have RHEL and Ubuntu/ Debian versions.
Custom repositories/RPM's can be added at the software tab when you're going through a build and under configuration there's a script's section where you can add a first boot/every boot script to update things or to deploy something from custom uploaded files. I'm a bit busy with weather today(no one ever remembers their vpn password) but i could take a look into it if someone hasn't figured it out by the time things slow down XD

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Looks like that OpenSUSE repo does not have sysbench :-/

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Things I could not find:
  1. php5-common
  2. sysbench
  3. php5-cli
  4. libfpdi-php
  5. gfortran (found libgfortran though)
My username is linux_bench

Shoot me a PM and I can share how far I have gotten.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
You can do kickstart files with CentOS and Ubuntu as well... I would think the better approach is doing containers with docker personally... Which @Chuckleb has already been working on.
For a lot of the hardware burn-in and benchmarking having the auto-run ISO mounted via IPMI would be really nice.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
OK - I have it at minimum running hardinfo and NAMD (thanks @Jeggs101 for the help on that one)

[Edit NAMD did not work]

@Deslok thanks for the repo tip. Sysbench should be in the next build.

Last edited:

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Wow - OK @Chuckleb check this: Linux-Bench Linux CPU Benchmarks by ServeTheHome and ServeThe.Biz

7-Zip and UnixBench are the only ones not working. Here is the UnixBench one.
Code:
Building UnixBench
--2016-01-22 12:55:17--  https://byte-unixbench.googlecode.com/files/UnixBench5.1.3.tgz
Resolving byte-unixbench.googlecode.com (byte-unixbench.googlecode.com)... 173.194.79.82, 2607:f8b0:400e:c03::52
Connecting to byte-unixbench.googlecode.com (byte-unixbench.googlecode.com)|173.194.79.82|:443... connected.
ERROR: cannot verify byte-unixbench.googlecode.com's certificate, issued by ‘/C=US/O=Google Inc/CN=Google Internet Authority G2’:
  Unable to locally verify the issuer's authority.
To connect to byte-unixbench.googlecode.com insecurely, use `--no-check-certificate'.
--2016-01-22 12:55:17--  http://linuxbench.servethehome.com/benchfiles/fix-limitation.patch
Resolving linuxbench.servethehome.com (linuxbench.servethehome.com)... 199.195.128.130
Connecting to linuxbench.servethehome.com (linuxbench.servethehome.com)|199.195.128.130|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 1306 (1.3K) [application/octet-stream]
Server file no newer than local file ‘fix-limitation.patch’ -- not retrieving.

tar (child): UnixBench5.1.3.tgz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
tar: Child returned status 2
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
/dev/fd/62: line 305: cd: UnixBench: No such file or directory
mv: cannot stat ‘../fix-limitation.patch’: No such file or directory
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
patching file Run
Hunk #1 FAILED at 105.
Hunk #2 FAILED at 1328.
patch: **** Can't reopen file Run : No such file or directory
Running UnixBench
/dev/fd/62: line 310: ./Run: No such file or directory
I guess we can package these up locally?

7-zip seems to be needing to add g++?
Code:
p7zip
Building p7zip
make[1]: g++: Command not found
make[1]: *** [myGetTickCount.o] Error 127
make: *** [7za] Error 2
Starting 7zip benchmark, this will take a while
/dev/fd/62: line 565: bin/7za: No such file or directory
Compress speed (MIPS):
Decompress speed (MIPS):

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
OK 7-zip is compiling, UnixBench was erroring out because of HTTPS authentication issue with Google.

This new build I added the auto script run feature. It is still running essentially the old code with that one edit. We may want to change the script and run from local files in the future I did add them all to the /root/ folder in the image so there is no need to download at this point.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
It is slightly hard to see what it is doing when it auto-boots and runs.

upload_2016-1-22_14-18-50.png

I logged in and saw that which is making me happy.