Strange problem with highpoint R750

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

rdsii64

Apr 16, 2020
First after reading some comments here, I get the impression that Hightpoint products are not looked upon in high regard. Please don't thrash me to hard for buying one.
With that out of the way, I grabbed an R750 from Highpoint for stupid cheap on ebay. I'll never need 40 drives but it was cheaper than anything else that would support up to 24 drives. I grabbed the windows drivers from their support page along with the web gui interface. (their words not mine) Windows sees the card but any drive I connect to it isn't picked up in windows or in the web gui. Am I doing something wrong or, is this a dead card. I'm only a week into my 30 day DOA window and have contacted the seller. In the mean time I thought I would check here and see if the problem was user error.

j_h_o

Apr 21, 2015
California, US
What cable are you using? Can you post part number or link to page?

Are the drives direct attached? Is there a backplane in between?

rdsii64

Apr 16, 2020
I'm using SFF 8087 mini-sas cables. I believe the part number is K-SF87XSAL-R-50. The drive is direct attached, no black plane.
I got the cables on ebay from rodaled.com

rdsii64

Apr 16, 2020
That's a reverse cable.

Try a "forward" SFF-8087 to 4xSAS/SATA cable and things will probably work.

That cable looks exactly like the one I have. I'll try your suggestion anyway, since I'll need more when I get this resolved
Thank you.

j_h_o

Apr 21, 2015
California, US
If you have a "reverse" cable, then it won't work the way you have it connected/are intending to use it.

From the controller to drives, you need a "forward" cable.

Can you confirm if the cable you have is reverse or forward? (via the part number)

rdsii64

Apr 16, 2020
If you have a "reverse" cable, then it won't work the way you have it connected/are intending to use it.

Can you confirm if the cable you have is reverse or forward? (via the part number)
The part number look up does say reverse. The ebay listing just said mini sas. I'll grab the ones you suggest.

rdsii64

Apr 16, 2020

I learned something today, thanks for the help.

rdsii64

Apr 16, 2020
No problem. I hope you get the cable quickly and can verify the card functionality before the 30d are up :)
Double good news. First, the CORRECT cable saved the day. Not only does the card work, but windows picked up the drive with the same drive letter and all data is intact.
Second, while waiting for the correct cables to arrive, I also heard back from the seller. They choose not to investigate the issue and simply refunded my money. So now I have a working 40 channel card for free. When my inter-tech IPC 4420 gets here, its on.