Strange item on this HP motherboard

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

sth2100

Feb 22, 2022
I have had several ProLiant server, but never seen this on one of them. It appears to be a little module, and with some searching around I think it is a HP Trusted Platform Module. From what I've read, these seem to be related to secure printing of some sort.

Anyone know if this is truly related to secure printing or if it's something else? Safe to remove it? Any reason I would actually want to keep it plugged in?

(smudged out some random parts in case there's risk with sharing the numbers)
re_20220308_230812.jpg

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Trusted Platform Module says it all thought.
please google " Trusted Platform Module"

sth2100

Feb 22, 2022
Most information I find seems to be related to HP printers that use this. It would seem that on a server it stores additional keys, but there are warnings about removing it and locking things out by doing so.

Is it safe to remove this thing? I doubt I would want to use it.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Most information I find seems to be related to HP printers that use this
when i google for " Trusted Platform Module " i don't get anything about printers...
Is it safe to remove this thing? I doubt I would want to use it.
Windows 11 need TPM module or a equivalent internal CPU function. it makes your computer unique.

sth2100

Feb 22, 2022
Personal preference warning here (stop reading now if you are easily offended)

I would rather smash my servers with a sledge hammer than allow Windows to run on them. BSD - yes... Linux - yes... Unix - yes... Amiga - yes... C64 - yes... Windows - sledge. Not running a datacenter where I need to do what someone tells me, I'm doing this as a hobby at home and can live by my own standards. :)

I was searching for "HP Trusted Platform Module" which returns a lot of printer results, didn't realize this is something more standard than just something HP specific. Thank you for the info about Win11 using TPM, it's good to know about it at least.

Guess I'll pop this module off and see what happens.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
warning here (stop reading now if you are easily offended)

If you don't know what a TPM Module is, how do you know something about BSD, Linux, Unix ?

• Haha
Reactions: i386 and Angus

edge

Apr 22, 2013
A TPM is a hardware root of trust. It is necessary for securely booting a system and preventing boot root kits (ensures firmware validity). This is true regardless of the operating system you choose to load on your system.

This is very basic security knowledge.

Reactions: RolloZ170

sth2100

Feb 22, 2022
Thanks for the explanation - I have used Linux, Unix, BSD, etc for over 25 years, and never ran across a TPM before. I've been on the consumer side that whole time and just started getting some enterprise level hardware about 4 months ago.

Thank you for sharing the "very basic security knowledge" with me, I've been living in the land of passwords and ssl keys, and never had a need for TPM - guess I still don't as I've removed the module for now. If I get some extra time and want to dive a bit deeper into the security realm, maybe I'll install it in another server and see what I can learn on the way.

Reactions: richard.dzavoronok

edge

Apr 22, 2013
True, I find very few homes with their own certificate authority. I hope you aren't self signing your certs.

Reactions: sth2100

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
It’s a TPM version 1.2 module for a HPE of G6/G7/Gen8 kind of vintage
Gen9 also had a version 1.2 & 2.0 option but was different and gen10 2.0 is different again.
Can be removed if you don’t have a use for it but it also won’t cause any harm.

edge

Apr 22, 2013
It’s a TPM version 1.2 module for a HPE of G6/G7/Gen8 kind of vintage
Gen9 also had a version 1.2 & 2.0 option but was different and gen10 2.0 is different again.
Can be removed if you don’t have a use for it but it also won’t cause any harm.
Bothering to know what it does and take advantage of it will do some good. This is not the internet of the early 90's. It is way more hostile than it was 5 years ago, and I am not talking about social media.