Strange ESXi passthrough issue

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Rowdy

Dec 3, 2020
Hi all!
New here and trying to figure out an issue I am having with passing through a 1650 Super.
It is replacing a 780 that was working just fine with a Windows 10 VM in 6.7u3.
After installing the new card, I went to toggle the passthrough on in the Webui and it just toggles all four nVidia devices on/off until the browser crashes.
It is strange to me that the device only shows up as a nVidia VGA device and doesnt have the model name, but being a newer card maybe that is expected.

BIOS settings for VT-d are confirmed on, I am passing through a NVMe drive to the host right now just fine.

I tried toggling it on, even though the webpage was 'glitching', restarted the server and it corrupted the ESXi OS and I had to do a clean install.

Not really sure what is going on at this point, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Rowdy

Dec 3, 2020
Review the last few pages of this thread - https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/troubleshooting-gpu-passthrough-esxi-6-5.12631 . The toggle bug is a UI issue. There's ways of toggling it through command line. According to my notes,

enable passthru enable via ssh
#esxcli hardware pci pcipassthru set -d=0000:01:00.0 -e=true -a

You'll need to change the d= address to the one of your video card.

View attachment 16845
Oh bummer, I should have tried that. I returned it and put my old 780 back in and it toggled just fine. I’ll have to try with a different card once these crazy prices come down.