Strange drive loss when power removed, cause?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Hitman

Sep 15, 2012
Hi,

I have a strange problem that i have been able to replicate across an IBM 5014 (Lsi sbr + 9260-8i firmware and default IBM sbr + IBM firmware) and an original Lsi 9260-8i card.

I have 4 x 1TB raid 0 on ports 4-7 and added 2 x samsung 830 128gb SSD drives to ports 0, 1 @ raid 0!

When i reboot the PC all is fine however if the power cable is completely removed from the PC, i loose 1 SSD drive always on port 1 when i connect the power back and boot, the 4 TB setup stays intact, just 1 ssd goes missing and cannot be detected unless i reboot and it appears again:confused:

At first i thought i had a duff cable, bug in the firmware (happens with any firmware) maybe config NVM loss as i don't have a BBU?

Any idea's?

Thanks.

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
NVRAM needs no BBU, as it's Non volatile.

Check power and Data cables to SSD is nice and secure, often this is the cause of drives dropping.

Wondering if its a spinup issue.
Set the Spinup value (best done in WEBBIOS), to 2, this will spinup 2 drives at a time, theoretically the 2x SSD's first, then 2 sets of HDD's.
Failing that swap the SAS cables round, ie HDDs on ports 0-4, SSDs on 5 and 6
Both arrays will stay, as the controller will auto roam for them.
At boot time this might be a better solution for spinup

The controller is hot swap you can take drives off add them at any time and they will be detected, so NVRAM loss is not an issue.

Hitman

Sep 15, 2012
Problem is now solved, thanks mobilenvidia!

First tried setting drive spinup (was set to 4, now set to 2) - didn't work.

Swapped over 8087 connectors, 4 x 1tb now on ports 0-3 and 2 ssd's on 4 and 5, - result, ssd no longer disappears.

Thanks!